ad: SMHam-1

Dispute

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N3AB, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

About a week ago, someone advertised a "Lexian 868S" for sale with programming cable, picture included. I responded to the ad, stating I would purchase it. This seller lives about 30 minutes from me, and I told him I would be willing to meet him with cash in hand to avoid the cost and time of shipping (his price included shipping, so he would come out ahead). He wanted to ship anyway, saying he has a new baby at home. I paid via PayPal (NOT using F&F).

Radio arrives intact, despite not a square inch of bubble wrap or other protection. What was not mentioned in the ad, was an assortment of wires hanging out of the back. One wire attached to a switch (note....ONE wire). Two other wires connected to a speaker jack. Two more wires that were coming out of the rear of the radio, but cut flush with the radio. And no programming cable.

I opened a dispute with PayPal. Now the seller tells me to ship him the radio, and he will refund my money. I said "no", deal with this issue through PayPal.

Now he says that I got my refund because his balance is "in the negative". I heard nothing from PayPal, and I did NOT receive a refund.

Apparently the seller "escalated" this dispute claiming that I was paid. I checked at least 5 times, and no refund was issued.

I never had a problem like this before, but I can see now the reluctance of the seller to meet me, and his wanting me to send the radio back before I get a refund.

Anyone have any input? I'm hoping PayPal sees through this (I sent them photos and a link to the original ad).

John N3AB

2. W0AQ

W0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish you luck. I've been through some of that stuff (not resulting from anything here). It's no fun.

3. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

You're early in the process. PayPal will refund if you provide (and it appears you did) the proper documentation. The seller is just tossing spaghetti against the wall to see if it'll stick.

I'm not sure about the negative account balance thing. I don't know how PayPal gets the money if there's no money in the seller's account and the bank account has been removed from the seller's list.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What web site ?

Was it for sale here on QRZ ? Do you have a link to it ?

Good Luck.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

AJ4GQ likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have walked away from this the moment the seller said he'd rather ship it instead of me taking my time to come pick it up.

Hopefully you will get the refund, eventually!

I've gone through similar stuff before but never paid anything; if a "seller" within driving distance of me will not allow me to come pick up an item for sale -- forget it.:p

K9ASE likes this.
  7. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it was here on QRZ. Someone else posted the link.

9. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I fell for the "I have a new baby" line. Live and learn. :mad:

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The past two transactions I have attempted here on QRZ have involved apologies for being sick and unable to ship (after I have already paid), I got refunded on one and finally received the other. I am done buying stuff on QRZ. Sorry for your troubles.