Disneyland Supportive of Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6LCS, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's probably a little better than taking one of these...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... whether or not Clint will actually be permitted to enter with his HT ...

This has nothing to do with me. There is a history of hams being allowed to enter the park with radios. That has not changed.
    The original poster on that "other" thread had a comms failure - there's been no policy change at DL.

3. K6LCS

>> ... You're calling on the phone talking to a sales person, asking about regulations ...

A lot of folks here have problems reading. My contacts - both in writing and with a supervisor on the phone - were with the Guest Relations department. Not ticket sales ...

This is really getting sad. A huge corporation has supported our hobby on both coasts of the U.S., and one argumentative ham's HT was turned away ... and he has single-handedly made people suspicious of ABC/Disney ... When, in fact, they have allowed ham gear at the parks for years.

4. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Maybe. But, I'm still waiting for you or another ham to put an HT on the belt, go to Disneyland, and see if they say anything. No covering up the HT or calling it an FRS radio. We won't know for sure unless someone else tries. Forewarned is forearmed.

5. K6LCS

>> ... But, I'm still waiting for you or another ham to put an HT on the belt, go to Disneyland, and see if they say anything.

Happens all the time. Has for decades. It is happening right now ...

But you know what? The whole point of these threads is that I am sure I can get myself singled out and be made to return my
    radio to the car - if I cop an attitude after being asked about the HT, flashing my "federally-issued license" at Disney, and scream
    bloody murder and "rights violation!" at the gate.

That is the true bottom line to all these threads about Disneyland: one needs to have social skills and be able to communicate.

A more accurate story would have been:

"Man, I was in such a bad mood and so argumentative last week that Disneyland
    wouldn't even allow my HT on the premises ... A lesson to all: Since Disney truly
    has a history of supporting ham radio, I apologize for all of you for making a scene
    last week. But things got out of hand, I copped a 'tude, and Disney did what was
    entirely within their rights, and had me return the HT to my car ... "

THAT is what happened, according to the original poster. Instead of accepting
    responsibility for his own actions, though, he claims that the Resort is "anti-ham."

Clint Bradford

6. K6LCS

10/04/2013

Dear Clint,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

As long as your portable amateur radio does not interfere with our
    radios used in our Parks, you will be able to use yours.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
    opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit
    will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Linda Trump
    DISNEYLAND® Resort
    Guest Experience Services

Received date: 9/28/13

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    First Day of Visit: 10/11/2013
    Length Of Stay: 2

May I bring my portable amateur radio with me to Disneyland - Anaheim?
    My FCC license is K6LCS ... and I would like to "work" the Disney
    amateur radio repeater, and also talk to others while I am enjoying
    Dumbo!

Clint Bradford [clint@clintbradford.com]

/end/

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If SOMEONE wants to buy me a ticket and pay for Parking, I will go to Disneyland and test out the theory. I hava BAOFENG UV5R that will be a suitable HT. I can walk in and after getting the body cavity search by the TSA-Like goons, they can examine the HT and see if they think it is a BOMB. If not, I might get in and spend 6 hours listenning to the "ITS A SMALL WORLD" tune!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.