ad: Stlouis-1

Disneyland Supportive of Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6LCS, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points.

What do we actually know, between the two threads?

K6CPO alleges he was denied entry into the park with his HT. (I say "allege" not because I disbelieve him, but I wasn't there and did not witness the incident).

K6LCS says he contacted Guest Services ahead of his planned visit, spoke with someone, and was assured it would not be a problem.

These two situations appear to be at odds with each other.

First, we don't know what will happen if & when K6LCS actually appears at the park with his HT.
    Second, we don't know the details of what happened when K6CPO was denied entry. (Again, not disputing anything either man is saying, just pointing out that we weren't present and don't actually know)

It is very possible that Guest Relations gave K6LCS bad or outdated information.
    It is very possible that the people that K6CPO dealt with decided on the spot, for any of a multitude of reasons (including many that had absolutely nothing to do with him) to deny his entry, and dug through the rules until they could find something that (out of context) appeared to support their decision.

So who's "right" and who's "wrong"? Probably neither, since each individual dealt with different people in different departments and different times & places.

That said, I too am curious as to whether or not Clint will actually be permitted to enter with his HT... and if he is initially denied entry, what will happen if he cites his conversation with Guest Services. I guess we'll all find out soon enough...

2. KC8HQS

KC8HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

W3WN, when you get the popcorn, please pass it on down to me. I hope we don't run out!

3. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

tumblr_lw7qn58NxG1qii6tmo1_500.gif
    This really ought to get interesting.

4. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand why anyone would want to spend a small fortune for entertainment and then spend time talking to other hams on the radio while there.

5. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta have something to do while waiting in lines.

6. KC8HQS

KC8HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHA! Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are. :D

7. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's disgusting. He chews with his mouth open!

8. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not anymore!

9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

This happens with Disney fairly often where the people on the phone give information and reality is another thing. The new "magicbands" and "FastPass+" systems are examples of that.

You're calling on the phone talking to a sales person, asking about regulations. It is reasonable that you'd get a positive reply. And yes, I'd also bet that other hams, maybe many, have entered without issue.

This doesn't eliminate the fact that one did walk up, the bag checker got spooked as did a manager and the HT is denied. The rule has an open end to it and they played it conservatively. Another person on the ground (at customer service, if I understand the story right) confirmed as they are not in a position to override the experienced bag checkers when the question isn't CRYSTAL clear. (Crystal clear as in "dual-band HTs are allowed in" in the regs somewhere.")

Both people, the phone people and the gate people, are just doing their jobs and there's not as much a conflict as it would seem, though it might be frustrating if you're the one turned away. Sometimes life is like that.

If I'm CPO and I wanted to renew my AP, I'd write a letter. And I'd probably get a response, and I'd probably take that response with me next time I want to bring my HT. But I believe CPO is done anyway...so its really a moot point.

Again, the fact that a Disney phone rep says a person would be let through the gates doesn't mean 100% that the person will get through the gates.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bring my BAOFENG HT to WINGS&THINGS. So far, they haven't thrown me out for having it on my belt or using it to contact the WAMO net. They might worry I would JAM the TVs, but no RFI has been seen. So I have been told it is OK for me to bring the HT into the restaurant. HOWEVER, I don't DARE take my eyes off it, as it would be RIPPED OFF in just seconds. Lotsa RIFFRAFF in there, and I already had my Droid CELLPHONE stolen in there because I took my eyes off it for a second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.