Disneyland Supportive of Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6LCS, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Planning a trip to Disneyland-Anaheim later this week, and I wanted to see if
    it was OK to take an HT along with me, to keep in touch with others in my party,
    and also to work the MickeyMouse repeater.

So I called Disneyland-Anaheim guest services. Delightful music on hold (Woody
    Guthrie ... songs from Cinderella ... )

I asked the agent (er, "cast member") for permission to bring my "amateur radio
    handheld radio" with me on Thursday, "to communicate with others at the park,
    and use the Mickey Mouse repeater."

Totally approved, no problem whatsoever.

Now, then, I am sure that there may be some who might have problems getting
    their amateur equipment onto the premises. But if one asks, gets the name of
    the person from whom permission was obtained, operates responsibly (that means
    do not be disruptive to other patrons (which means low volume or the use of an
    earpiece - IMHO)), then one should have no problems using ham radios at the
    park. ABC/Disney has a demonstrable history of supporting amateur radio.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
    909-241-7666 - cell

PS There's another thread here from a gentleman who was "turned away" because
    he had a ham HT. Well, that's not the entire truth ... He admits having a bad attitude
    before he even got into the car that day, and further admits arguing and copping
    an attitude with Cast Members. There is NO POLICY PROBLEM with Disney - they
    clearly allow responsible hams to use their HTs on the premises. The only problem
    in that gentleman's thread is his own bad attitude - which can only jeopardize future ham
    ops in the park.

2. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to get that in writing. That way you have something official from Disney. On the off chance that you get a "cast member" that has a bur up their rear, you have undeniable proof, more than just you recollection of a phone conversation. At a minimum, at least have the name and contact info for someone that you can call if there is a problem at the gate.

3. KK4PLD

KK4PLD Ham Member QRZ Page

No castmember has a burr in the rear, its really a magical place :D

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

This gentleman has the wrong perceptions of my experience at Disneyland last week. I will admit that I am burned out and bored with Disneyland because my wife and I have had annual passes for six years and I'm not the Disney enthusiast she is. However, I DID NOT have any attitude about going when we left home. Nor, did I have any attitude while waiting in line to enter the bag check. The employee searching bags noticed my HT on my belt in plain sight and asked me to step aside while a lead was contacted. It was only AFTER the lead acted officious and refused to listen to what I had to say did I get angry and leave the park.

I later re-entered the park with no issues after returning my radio to the car. At that time my wife and I went to guest services to get clarification of the policy and it was there the no HT policy was re-affirmed. I have no idea who this gentleman spoke to on the phone, but it's obvious there are conflicting procedures in place. I have e-mailed Disneyland Guest Services to see what they say, but have yet to receive a reply.

LCS claims Disney has always been supportive of amateur radio, but they recently asked the owner of the "Disneyland repeater" to remove it from Disney property. It is now located on an Anaheim city building somewhere. This is information I received directly from the repeater owner.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes officer Jones, ... you heard me right..., I was talking to a fairy named Tinkerbell last week, and she said it was perfectly alright to bring in my HT.

6. K6LCS

>> .. LCS claims Disney has always been supportive of amateur radio, but they recently asked the owner of the "Disneyland repeater" to remove it from Disney property.

So what? You'll bring up any little tidbit to try to avoid the true issue at hand: Disneyland allows amateur HTs on the property. YOU had a problem
    communicating, and have wrongly declared that they are "anti-ham" and that people should not think of taking ham gear to the park.

YOU are demeaning ABC/Disney because YOU cannot handle authority. NOT because there is a rule prohibiting ham gear on the grounds.

Clint Bradford

7. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Before judging so quickly, why don't you try entering Disneyland with your HT clipped to your belt and see what, if anything they say or do? Don't hide it in a pocket or under a jacket or tell them it's an FRS radio. Be totally honest with them. If they tell you that you cannot have it then tell them what you were told on the phone. It would be interesting to see how you are treated under similar circumstances.

8. K6LCS

I have visited the park with an HT. So have thousands of other hams. That is not in dispute.

The original poster is loving this ... all this attention ... and the original post is lost in the diffusion: He copped an attitude and got
    busted. HE had a failure to communicate. Then he wrongly tells the planet that Disney is anti-ham and that we should not even think
    of taking an HT there. That is blatantly a misrepresentation of the facts, and demeans the support that ABC/Disney has given to - and
    still supports - amateur radio.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, this is getting to be more fun that watching RKO vs Daniel Bryan.

The only thing missing? Someone please pass the popcorn!

10. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I never read anything that indicated he had an attitude. He was justifiably confused about their interpretation on the policy and, possibly ran into someone that had an attitude in dealing with him. Maybe you read something into his post that I didn't. Let us know about your experience. However, if it is anything like the OP, I wouldn't think you would be back posting with egg on your face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.