"Dismissed" Vanity Call Sign -- what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8KJG, Dec 8, 2017 at 2:01 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We recently bought a home across the state line (8-land to 4-land) . When I move, my maidenhead grid square stays the same. Because I also have another 4-land home, I want to change my call back to 4-land, where it was for many decades.

For the two vanity call signs I'm looking at, I find that their status lists them as "Dismissed [​IMG] " in the FCC ULS system.

What the heck is "Dismissed [​IMG] "?

The "[​IMG]" is clickable as an insertable icon. Doing so says that it is "Open Petition For Reconsideration (PFR) Status."

Getting old, feeble and not understanding my native language is not easy.

Thanks,
    Old Ken
    Presently K8KJG

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

its a crap shoot. especially if you were after a short call. i was after a 2x1 4-land call. i made the request early but didn't submit it till the day it was truly available. they gave it to someone with an old 8-land 2x1 who lives in 4-land. i feel they did the right thing.

so maybe keep trying?

you can have mine if the fcc is willing to let me go by negative-one.

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

Just what call sign are you seeking? There are certain combinations that are not available even though those might appear to be available.

You need to open a petition to get your request to be reconsidered (if the call is available and if you haven't "jumped the gun" in terms of your filing date). There should be instructions as to how to do this on the FCC website. Unfortunately, sometimes, finding those instructions can take some time! The FCC website is not always "user friendly"!

Glen, K9STH

4. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd also advise checking out AE7Q.com as a source for translation of the FCC status and codes. If you applied and you were dismissed, the likely reason is that the calls aren't available yet - in a nutshell, calls have to sit in limbo for two years between owners....so it may not be held by someone else, but may not be available yet to others (including you)

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

KC4PK is still available...

AE7Q’s site, at least at the moment, does not show your vanity app. So I would presume that the app was dismissed (at least in part) because the calls requested were unavailable.

6. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

two years and one day. if the expiration date is the 10th of the month, the call isn't available until the 11th.

7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

"Dismissed" means you are not going to get it. Did the calls you were interested in just become available? If so, did you apply too early? Or did you apply too late? Are you sure the calls are actually available (not still in the waiting period - or already assigned to someone)?

What was the FCC Receipt Date? What is / was the Process Date? I took a quick look for the most recent "dismissed" applications, and I was not able to locate yours. If you can provide more information we might be able to identify why they were "Dismissed".

Glenn AB3TQ

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we missed a subtle point here Glenn.

He hasn’t applied yet. He was looking at available calls, and wondering why two of them are listed as “dismissed” — which is not quite the same thing.

What we need to know is, what are the two calls?

9. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

These two calls were apparently requested by another ham this past October. As far as I can tell, he got another call. All of these are old 1x3 calls. I know that one of them has/had been inactive and available going back to 2001.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in 2004 (before I had a computer) I contacted W5YI by telephone & requested the vanity callsign W5BIB.
    All I was doing is dropping the "A" from my WA5BIB call (after 43 years). The girl said "yes, W5BIB is available".

A couple of weeks went by & I received a notice from the FCC that said "W5BIB is not available" !! WTF :confused:

I called W5YI back & the girl reviewed the request and discovered that she had placed a "period" after "W5BIB" in the space for "requested callsign" :rolleyes: I guess that the FCC computer saw the requested callsign as a 1x4 & kicked it out.

She removed the "period" & resubmitted. Couple of weeks later, I received W5BIB :D

She apologized for having a "period" on my original application !!! :eek: - (I chose NOT to make any comment) :p

Be careful where you have a "period"...

Steve / W5BIB

WN6U likes this.