ad: elecraft

Disguised VHF/UHF antennas

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KT5W, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KT5W

KT5W Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a new-to-me vehicle and want to install the ID-880h however the XYL doesn't want any awkward antennas hanging off it so I'm in search of a "disguised antenna". It seems that many vehicles these days have the "stinger" antennas mounted on the roof and so I was thinking of trying to go that direction. I like what Diamond is doing with the CR270A but not sure if it's quite there yet.

I'm tempted to try some home brewing by buying an already existing "stinger" type antenna and base combo from one of the online auction sites and then trying to modify it to fit a Diamond AZ504FXH or the Comet SSB-1
    I guess the goal is to get a dual band antenna on the vehicle that looks "stock" and can handle the 50 watts from the ID-880h. I understand that performance for these kind of antennas is going to be poor, but sometimes something is better than nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Will/KT5W

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 2.31.56 PM.png

2. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What make/model/year of car?

3. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the roof of an SUV of some sort.

4. KT5W

KT5W Ham Member QRZ Page

2012 Toyota Highlander

5. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's wrong about a plain old 1/4 wave?

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

There are companies that make stealth antennas that will work on the ham bands, but doubtful they will give you the coverage / performance you want compared to even a 1/4 wave dual-band antenna. At worse, I would go with a mag-mount 1/4 wave and stick it on the car when you need to use the radio, and leave it off when the wife wants to drive. However, even as short as a 1/4 wave antenna is, it looks like you may have clearance issues with your garage door.

7. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is your third brake light mounted in a "shelf-like" aerodynamic bar across the top of the rear window? If so, is there
    enough room/clearance to install an NMO mount on it?

Interesting vehicle, antenna-wise! No "traditional" rear SUV access door for a lip mount, like a Diamond K400. On many
    SUV-like vehicles, a K400 and a black Comet SBB5 mounted so that 1/3 of the antenna is above the roofline is a great
    system ...

What is the material in the side-rear windows? I have seen them tinted ... but are they metallic/passivated? If not, the
    Larsen KG-2/70-CX-PL system is a quality through-the-glass system. (Don't let anyone tell you that they are sub-par -
    mounted/installed properly on non-metallic glass, they work very well for 2M/440 work. I have used both the Larsen 2/440
    through-the-glass system as well as their 220-only system - and they are great.

But back to your original message: If the wife doesn't like external antennas, then it may be best to respect that ... (grin).

Clint K6LCS
    909-241-7666 - cell

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Wife have a problem with antenna looks on the car?
    SHOW her a pic of MY CAR!!! Then she will think whatever simple antenna U install will look BEAUTIFUL!

Same thing with the HOUSE!!! If she has a problem with U putting up an antenna, show her MY HOUSE!!! Then U can put up whatever U like!

9. KA1NTG

KA1NTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not an NMO mount and an Austin 500C (I'd recommend the 500CS, the 'Soft Top' version)? 19 inches, black and floppy, looks almost‚Äč OEM!

10. KF2Q

KF2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the exact same situation!

My new wife doesn't mind the antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.