Discussion of Religious Materials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZGRAF, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of Holy Rollers on SW as well. Just as nauseating. :rolleyes:

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In days of olde the "elmers" taught;... Anything goes on the bands except; religion, politics, & race. All else is fair game. Granted tho,... "times have changed" (dammit)......:(

3. N9ZMO

N9ZMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no issue with those that wish to profess their faith and find it kinda funny how the labels fly. I do believe however, that certain topics such as religion, politics and such shouldn't be topics. This is a world wide hobby and not everyone embraces the same thing.

I have fun rag chewing with the more elder hams that speak of tube days and the things they did back then. That's just me.

4. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

I could use a couple of you "Branch Yagidians" to install a beam antenna for me as there ain't one at my QTH.

Amish / Mennonite carpenters offer their services for free or a substantially reduced price; can the Branch Yagidians match their offer?

5. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

As some others have stated there is no rule that prohibits talking about religion on the amateur bands. There is a net on 20 meters most every afternoon that is of a religions nature. I have heard them ask for prayers for certain people and discuss their Christian beliefs. I haven't heard them read from the bible but I usually only listen to them for a few minutes when tuning past them on the band.

On the 75/80 meter band at night you can hear discussions about all sorts of topics. The top subjects seem to be bad mouthing our present government. Talking about the good ole days and medical problems past and present. You hear a fair amount of what most people would call profanity or vulgar language which gets worse as the night wears on.

I am a very religions person and have very firm beliefs but refrain from discussing them on the air. No matter what is said to me in person or on the air is going to change my religions views so there is no reason to talk about it on the air. People just get worked up.

Now if you happen to find other amateurs with similar religious views that want to talk about it over the air you could certainly do that but be prepared to hear from others that do not share your views.

Amateurs for the most part are very opinionated and not afraid to tell you their thoughts. So if you do decide to talk religion on the air you will need to have or develop a fairly thick skin. The same goes for posting on the Zed.

Oh, and good luck on getting you tech license. Let us know when you get it.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No, unless you have some strange religion of some "indecent" nature...

I'd be hesitant to read anything copyrighted without the copyright holder's permission. Certain translations of the Holy Bible are copyrighted, certain ones are not. Some translations have specific requirements for reading that allow you permission should you follow them.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Yagidians do what they can. Place your order in the next twelve minutes and we'll double the offer: You get TWO Yagis for the price of just one, only pay the extra handling charges. And we'll throw in a 1:1 balun. Even if you don't like the Yagis and choose to return them, keep the balun with our thanks for trying the Yagis.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are nets on both HF and VHF (via EchoLink) that are oriented to Christians. I run across these from time to time, and I'm not offended. Each person that checks in reads a Bible verse to everyone else, and that often leads to discussion - much like a Bible study group at the local church.

I can't remember ever discussing religion on the air, myself. You never know who is listening, and while you may think that the Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu on the receiving end is in need of Christian salvation, he and his government might take a very different view. You will hear imbeciles on 75 and sometimes 20 meters deliberately insulting these other religions - I'm surprised someone hasn't issued a Fatwa calling for their extermination yet. What do you think would happen to an Iranian ham if the secret police caught him listening to such blather? Seriously - we should never do anything that might endanger our fellow hams, whether it be political, religious, or any taboo topic. If you must discuss those, do it on your local repeater, but even there, be aware that people from all walks of life might be listening.

9. KY6M

KY6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no laws against this subject. Will you offend people, well yes, but would that surprise you? There are some nets that do Bible studies which I have sat in on once. Usually they are so early in the morning that it isn't convenient for me.
    [h=3]Matthew 11:6[/h]
    6 And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.”

10. KY6M

KY6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, think again! :D

Luke 14:28
    For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it29 lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish’?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.