Discolored PL-259 Connector

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7NJN, Jun 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7NJN

W7NJN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a bit puzzled, I installed a new PL-259 connector at the transceiver end about 2 months ago. I was unplugging it due to an incoming storm and noticed it was pretty discolored, almost a gold tint, and had a burnt smell. I'm trying to connect the dots on what may be going on here. The connector on the back of the radio looks just fine. I've been doing a lot of FT8, is it possible the connector is getting very hot? I've not seen this before. Thanks for any advice.

Matt - W7NJN

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MATT,

THIS IS FROM THE FOLLOWING PAGE:

http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregordy/Amateur%20Radio/Experimentation/SolderCoax.htm

Soldering is best done on clean, untarnished, surfaces. If your connectors show any sign of tarnish or discoloration, you may want to shine them up with steel wool. If you do that, however, be sure to remove all metal residue, so that the little bits of metal cannot form a short circuit. Compressed air will probably do the job. Another situation where tarnish and corrosion can occur is when you are adding a connector to the end of a cable that was cut (accidentally, no doubt) and then spent some time outside. Water and moisture can penetrate inches to feet inside of the exposed end of a coaxial cable. You have little choice other then to keep cutting the cable shorter until you reach clean and uncontaminated braid and center conductor.

A BURNT SMELL ON A COAX CONNECTOR IS USUALLY DUE TO RUNNING VERY HIGH POWER AND
    ALSO HAVING A HIGH SWR.

I DON'T THINK THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, ESPECIALLY WHERE YOU STATE THAT THE CONNECTOR ON THE RADIO IS OK.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE CONNECTOR THAT DISCOLORED WAS JUST CHEAPLY MANUFACTURED.

ENJOY THE FUN FILLED WORLD OF HAM RADIO.

73 - K1LKP

3. W7NJN

Thank you for your reply, I'm only running 100 W into a resonant inverted V, radio shows a 1:1 across the band with the tuner off. Maybe I'll put another connector on and see what happens.

4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you go thru that trouble, run the radio as you normally do, and check the connector time to time. If touching it ain't your thing, use a remote reading thermometer.
    Mike N3PM

WQ4G likes this.
  5. N5TJD

N5TJD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe a cheap Pl-259 conducting and reacting to the heat of your transmitter? If it ain't broke, run it till it is! :D

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who manufactured the PL-259?

A lot of "Chinese" stuff is very poor quality, and that might be the only problem.

Amphenol 83-1SPs are pretty good.

WA9SVD and WQ4G like this.
  7. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Silly question but this isn't a silver plated connector beginning to tarnish, is it?

AJ4WC, WQ4G, G6YYN and 1 other person like this.
  8. W7NJN

Thanks all for the advice... It may just be tarnishing, I was a little thrown off by the smell. I ran FT8 for a while and felt it and it wasn't hot at all. I'll keep an eye on it!

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In two months, and turning gold? With a burnt smell?

I think it's something else.

10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Philosophers' SO-239 socket which turns base metal PL-259 connectors to gold? :)