Disappointed new guy...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KI7NCE, Jan 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe this definitely requires pursuit on your part. You need to talk to a person rather than contact a virtual driven machine. Getting to speak with a person is getting difficult. I've noticed that "chat lines" on customer service web sites are virtually assistants in many cases today. Very frustrating.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Even if it cannot be resolved for upgrade to General, your having a Tech ticket gives you almost as much frequency when using CW or digi modes.
    So all is not lost. I truly hope for a good outcome for you but if not you must make the best of what you now have.
    Learning Morse is only as difficult as one wants to make it. CW is a lot of fun and is the most efficient low buck mode there is...

Learn Morse
    Do CW

W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oregon, like most states has a process for complete removal of a first felony conviction from any criminal record. Here is a link to some info on the subject.

http://www.courts.oregon.gov/Washington/Services/Criminal/pages/expungements.aspx

I highly recommend you do this if you are eligible. Then this issue cant come back to haunt you over other issues.

Good luck.

4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know in Iowa the sheriff can get it taken away. I know that cause my brother-in-law got a felony in his young wild days but then he became a Christian and that changed his whole life. The drugs were gone and the booze was gone. The running around ended. He totally lost the desire the minute he accepted Christ into his life and never looked back. That might have been around 30 years ago and he has never went back to drugs or booze again. All you God haters will hate that story and find ways to make it so it was not God changing him but it will not bother me. I know what happened and you don't. Oh yes and like I started out the sheriff took car of the felony. He was a big time hunter so he wanted to be able to legally own guns again.
    John, WB0MPB

N5VAF likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

No, most are not.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an automatic dismissal by the FCC, They EXPECT you to reply within 14 days as the instruction states.

If you don't appeal,....................

"A YES will place the application in the “pending file for review” category.
    Applicants answering YES would have to, within 14 days, provide the FCC with a statement explaining the circumstances, and a statement “giving the reasons why the applicant believes that grant of the application would be in the public interest, notwithstanding the actual or alleged misconduct,” the revised Form 605 instructions state.

an applicant’s answer to the felony question and explanation will be public via ULS, unless a separate request is made to the FCC that the applicant’s explanation be kept confidential. The FCC will review applications on which the felony question has been answered in the affirmative and decide whether to grant them or designate them for hearing.

“The applicant must provide sufficient information for the FCC to determine whether there exists any material and substantial question of fact regarding whether the applicant has the character qualifications to be a Commission licensee,” .

There is no set checklist of items, but useful information would include such information as details regarding the conduct that resulted in the conviction or guilty plea, including time and place; the date of the conviction or guilty plea; the penalty imposed and whether it has been satisfied, and “any efforts taken to remedy the wrongs committed and ensure that the applicant will not engage in such conduct in the future,”

The fact that you STILL have a TECH license shows that the FCC is just waiting on you to appeal.

K5RCD likes this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Not correct,..........

"
    Individuals convicted of a felony and later pardoned or whose record has been sealed should answer YES, and include information regarding the pardon, “as that will be relevant to whether the conviction still presents any material and substantial question of fact regarding whether the applicant has the character qualifications to be a Commission licensee,” the FCC told VECs. “An overturned conviction need not be disclosed — but a conviction still on appeal must be disclosed.”

There is a legal difference between "Removal" and a "Pardon".

Anyway, I hope he "jumps thru the hoops" and gets his upgrade.

8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a portion of the language from the application from Oregon to set aside or expunge a criminal conviction.

"A Motion to Set Aside a Conviction, if granted by the court, sets aside the record of a conviction/arrest and the applicant is deemed not to have been previously convicted/arrested. The court orders the record of the conviction/arrest and any other official records in the case to be sealed. In the eyes of the law, the violation that led to the conviction/arrest did not occur and the record does not exist. Law enforcement agencies are required to seal their investigative reports of the incident. (Please note: Oregon does not allow for full expungement of an arrest or conviction record. Reference is made to Asetting aside the conviction/arrest@. For your purpose, the two expressions are nearly the same.)"

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The official FCC form asks if you have EVER been convicted of a felony.

even if the record has been sealed/ect, you still HAVE been convicted, and answering untruthfully is a reason for disapproval.

Is Oregon a sanctuary state too?

K5RCD likes this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will preface my answer by saying that my experience with with Michigan law (and may be dated as I retired in 2002) and not Oregon, but in Michigan when your record is expunged (or set aside and sealed; the terms are used interchangeably) the conviction for all legal purposed does not exist. And therefore you could truthfully and honestly say that you have never been convicted. However (and this is a big however) for this serious a matter I would get an opinion from an attorney licensed in Oregon on the Oregon law. As far as whether Oregon is a sanctuary state; I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the policy they follow.