Disappointed new guy...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KI7NCE, Jan 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would expect so. Seems like a computer simply kicked back the application when something like that needs some human intervention.

2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is just a silly law. I can see a felony stops you from getting a gun most of the time but a ham license!!!! What crime do they think you are going to do with a ham license after 30 years of a clean record?

Also I am have a strong feeling against driving over the limit but I am happy for you that you learned from your first DUI and have not continued to get more. Good job.

John, WB0MPB

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no clue what you are asking.

Im just saying If it were me I would talk to a attorney for advice and try to resubmit my application.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you allowed to own a firearm ?

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you need to pursue the appeal, because this will also likely affect your future renewals. I can't imagine a DUI, even a felony DUI, being a disqualifying factor.

6. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Next they'll ask you if there was ever a time when you needed medication for mental illness. Then they'll start asking about your DNA and if you're of pure descent. Any deviations immediately disqualify you. I know some of you already lean toward the mental portion (can't say I blame those that do) but you see how this gets out of hand.
    the OP's rejection clearly demonstrates a massive intolerance problem that is making it's way through the nation. Things like this are just another way of excluding "those people". It has to stop.

Have fun
    Gary

7. KI7NCE

KI7NCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the dismissal letter...
    Not quite sure what to do next.
    I think a phone call is in order though.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you an ARRL member? If so, you may want to call the local ARRL volunteer counsel (attorney). They usually work on antenna legal issues and such, but it's free, can't hurt and you might get some good information or a lead on someone who handles your problem. Here is the website to search for one:
    http://www.arrl.org/locate-a-vc

WD0BCT likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Contact one even if you aren't a member.

10. KE6P

KE6P Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it 'Interesting' that they are denying you the upgrade while allowing you to continue to be licensed as a Technician. That along with my layman understanding of the intent of the policy is encouraging. Maybe if you can get a letter from the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over where you live and work for the past decade indicating that you have good character, that would be enough. Sometimes Sheriff Departments will issue letters such as that for a variety of reasons for a small fee. They are sometimes necessary for firearms training at some firearms schools. Good luck.