Disappearing applications or dead apps that suddenly stop working?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2GK, Dec 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Haven't had a problem with JT Alert yet (I updated it to the most recent version not long ago). Usually those that have stopped working for me are phone/tablet apps that don't keep up with changes to iOS/Android.

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah the Windows 10 updates "breaks" your previous installations of certain things.

For example, when you setup an RTL-SDR and want to use it with the SDR# program, the program setup requires you to initialize the Zadig application to install the correct driver as illustrated below....

[​IMG]

However, after a Windows 10 update occurs, all that setup disappears (is overwritten?) and so your RTL-SDR no longer works anymore or as the op describes, "It's dead and suddenly stops working."

So you have to reinstall the Zadig driver again, and again, and again...

This is just one example of many. I have also lost the use of other devices like portable scanners, external disk drives, portable cameras, digital interfaces and other devices and software programs especially if the program / app involves installing a hardware "device driver" of some kind.

It has nothing to do with a virus or anything. Win10 updates just breaks some stuff you have previously installed.

So now I have a separate WinXP PC for all my ham radio stuff that Windows 10 updates keeps breaking....

IMAG0363_zpshutlwb2z.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have any of these problems with windows 10. In fact, i find that it is the best behaved window ever. The only thing that its ever broken is my home network drive sharing when they removed workgroups. But the new home network stuff was even easier to setup and configure. The one caveat here is I am not trying to run legacy software.

W4RAV and KC8VWM like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Microsoft alleges, and I’m paraphrasing and simplifying here, that they have certain rules or procedures that programmers should follow when it comes to use of shared files like DLL’s.

If their rules/procedures aren’t followed, they allege, then it’s not their fault that an update ‘breaks’ an existing program, because the program wasn’t written correctly and thus can’t handle the update.

Now, I don’t exactly buy this allegation. Oh, I’m sure there’s some truth to it, and in individual cases it may well be true. But it comes across more as a convenient excuse for them to avoid legal and ethical responsibility for their own... miscues. In short, they need a reason to avoid having to fix problems that 3rd parties have.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In June I started getting USB Audio Codec error messages, and I have been unable to use WSJT-X, or FLDIGI, or HRD digital modes. I've tried everything I can think of short of reloading Win10. Quite frustrated.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try this:

In Win10 go to: Settings > Privacy > Microphone and turn on the 'Allow apps to access your microphone'

Screenshot:

microphone.jpg

The issue:

Win10 update turned off permission for your programs to "access" the microphone. Reinstalling the program won't do any good because the microphone is not accessible to the software.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    WZ7U likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RTL-SDR is still working here after numerous Windows 10 updates. There are so many hardware configurations among Win computers, however, that admittedly nothing is guaranteed. ;)

KA0HCP and KC8VWM like this.
  8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look me up, don't let the name fool you. While my last name has French origins, my mothers last name was "Czajkowski". Bring on the Kielbasa and Sauerkraut. Enough said.