ad: M2Ant-1

Direction for a beverage type antenna

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N4AEQ, Nov 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I live on 8 acre lot but located on the edge of one corner, would like to put up a directional wire antenna and need to know which direction would be best for VLF. I live in western area of NC, the wire could point North
    through West only, East through South are not possible. Is there a map of known VLF stations on the web?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We are long past the experimental phase of operations on 630m and 2200m, when there were only 30-40 experimental licensed stations. There is no longer a central registry of stations.

The best place to check for activity are
    -PSK Reporter
    -WSPR website
    The usual DX spotting sites may be helpful as well.

From my observations, the greatest number of stations are in the Eastern third of the US. Followed by the Pacific NW, SW US and Texas, Florida.

I would suggest a NE/SW orientation for your wire. Don't forget you can upgrade the antenna to a switchable dual-direction Beverage. Good luck! b.

3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Give Phil - VE3HOA a shout. He has a nice 500+' beverage pointed SE and seems to do well all over the country on 630m. Length may be just as important as direction.

Also, check out the LWCA, they publish a great monthly summary of VLF/LF/MF/NDB contacts and beacons. Good luck ! :):)

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

AC0OB likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would aim a somewhat directional antenna west from NC to cover most of the US. Terminated is unidirectional and non- is bidirectional.
    Remember a beverage antenna has to be several wavelengths long to be effective. AND at 630 M a wavelength is almost 2000 Feet ! :eek:
    Have fun. :rolleyes:

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A 500 ft antenna on 630 is like a 3 ft telescoping whip on an FM portable pulled out half way. Sure it works but sure not the best. o_O

KP4SX likes this.
  6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yep, I get it. Phil's had good luck up there on both 136 and 474. Could be geography.

But on the same hand, I also have a 24" e-probe that Rx 474 from all over the world. Now that's amazing. :)