ad: w5yi

Direction for a beverage type antenna

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by N4AEQ, Nov 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I live on 8 acre lot but located on the edge of one corner, would like to put up a directional wire antenna and need to know which direction would be best for VLF. I live in western area of NC, the wire could point North
    through West only, East through South are not possible. Is there a map of known VLF stations on the web?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We are long past the experimental phase of operations on 630m and 2200m, when there were only 30-40 experimental licensed stations. There is no longer a central registry of stations.

The best place to check for activity are
    -PSK Reporter
    -WSPR website
    The usual DX spotting sites may be helpful as well.

From my observations, the greatest number of stations are in the Eastern third of the US. Followed by the Pacific NW, SW US and Texas, Florida.

I would suggest a NE/SW orientation for your wire. Don't forget you can upgrade the antenna to a switchable dual-direction Beverage. Good luck! b.

3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Give Phil - VE3HOA a shout. He has a nice 500+' beverage pointed SE and seems to do well all over the country on 630m. Length may be just as important as direction.

Also, check out the LWCA, they publish a great monthly summary of VLF/LF/MF/NDB contacts and beacons. Good luck ! :):)

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

AC0OB likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would aim a somewhat directional antenna west from NC to cover most of the US. Terminated is unidirectional and non- is bidirectional.
    Remember a beverage antenna has to be several wavelengths long to be effective. AND at 630 M a wavelength is almost 2000 Feet ! :eek:
    Have fun. :rolleyes:

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A 500 ft antenna on 630 is like a 3 ft telescoping whip on an FM portable pulled out half way. Sure it works but sure not the best. o_O

KP4SX likes this.
  6. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yep, I get it. Phil's had good luck up there on both 136 and 474. Could be geography.

But on the same hand, I also have a 24" e-probe that Rx 474 from all over the world. Now that's amazing. :)

7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was very lucky to hear anything on 630 M that I recognized as Amateur Radio (CW) with my 160 m dipole. BUT ! Any time I tune the low freqs, I hear lots of airport beacons, as far as Winnipeg, MB (850 Miles).

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Not true and you keep repeating this nonsense. Try studying the subject in the future.

I suggest you actually learn the subject before posting in the future.

I use 5 500-750' Beverages for 10 directions and they work just fine on 630M and also show directivity down on 2200M and the LF BCB. I also use to copy SAQ on 17.2 kHz when propagation to Sweden is decent.

Any Beverage can be electrically lengthened with loading coils.

Carl

KA2RRK and WQ2H like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Beverages,
    I have played with dozens of traveling wave beverage antennas over the years. Just as a traditional beverage, so it needs to be one wavelength long at the lowest frequency minimum. Loading doesn't help on traveling wave antennas, such as beverages, terminated V beams, and rhombics.

The shorter and closer to the ground you have it, the less signal is going to arrive on the antenna and being very short vastly hinders how a traveling wave antenna works. you're going to have to add a bigger preamp and you'll probably get more noise, a traveling wave antenna is all about signal-to-noise ratio and gain through directivity,

To be a true good performing traveling wave beverage antenna one wavelength at the lowest operating frequency. Look at the patent information and how the antenna was used over the years., 1 to 4 wavelengths.

In the real world you might be able to receive something but the magic of the beverage is lost by, poor directivity and gain, good Signal to noise is all offset and loss by trying to add more pre-amp, to try to hear something. Any piece of wire will hear something, but that doesn't mean it's a good antenna at all, it may just be hearing noise!!!!!!

I will add one other thing about beverage antennas, most people that model beverage antennas, like the loaded and others, really don't know what the ground conductivity is under them and it's impossible to accurately model a traveling wave without knowing exactly the ground conductivity. It will very over a wavelength long 160 M antenna.
    I have done some very accurate field testing with signal sources and tried to compare it to models, which were done before I knew the exact ground conditions.
    Everything you know about traditional the antennas are different when you play with traveling wave antennas.

Antennas are fun THE BEST ANTENNA IS ONE THAT IS "IN THE AIR AND ON THE AIR"

There are still a lot of NDB out here to here

W0BTU likes this.