" Direct Burial" ? Maybe not........

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KQ0J, Jan 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just finished helping a local ham replace his buried cable to his antenna with new RG-213 direct burial cable.

He said this cable we pulled out was direct burial and had been in the ground about 8 years. This was the
    best stuff, most had zero insulation left - as if it dissolved.

[​IMG]

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Buried in the swamp? Looks like alligator damage...

K0UO and KQ0J like this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How much do you want for it? I'm looking for some inexpensive coax to connect between my brand new TS-990S and my all band T2FD up in the attic, gotta save cash after buying the best rig out there (I saw a You Tube video that said so). No HOA here but I don't want to upset the neighbors with an outdoor antenna. The reviews say this new rig is amazing and I should have my DXCC in a week!

/s ;)

WB5YUZ and AK5B like this.
  4. KQ0J

It was right next to a pond. So there's that.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

If it rains I have a pond in my back yard. My next door neighbor sent me a photo of a Great Blue Heron standing on my roof!

6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I was only joking about alligators earlier, but now I am beginning to think I might be right. Maybe baby 'gators use coax while teething? Stranger things have happened...

K0UO likes this.
  7. KQ0J

That section was inside PVC that was buried ! The stuff that was buried directly had zero insulation left.

8. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't suppose there is any visible marking left? Would be interesting to know if a manufacturer could be identified. If so, (and just for fun), I'd contact them - then send a sample for analysis.

Who knows, maybe they screwed up, or maybe it was a counterfeit cable, or maybe it was produced shortly after the RoHS legislation and was a "compromise" (and not a good one) in the plastic covering material. I'm into cars, and the RoHS ban convinced / forced wire manufacturers to alter the plasticizes used in cable insulation. There are many similar aged auto wire harnesses that have become brittle and fallen apart. When that happens, your classic car becomes a classic pain in the a$$. Replacing coax cable (even when buried) is a piece of cake compared to replacing a car's wiring harness!

As I recall, many of the RoHS mandated changes started happening around year 2000, but some items were "phased in" over time. And maybe your friend's 8 year estimate was just his best recollection - my memory often works that way!

KQ0J likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The title is fitting.

That cable should be directly buried...in a landfill.

KQ0J likes this.
  10. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I direct bury my coax and have never had it look like that. Years later, when I take it out of the ground, it looks just like it did when it went in. Just a little dirt hanging on it. But then, I live in the desert. It's sometimes quite a spell before you we see any moisture. There have been years when we go for 300 days, without a cloud in sky.

But we do have varmints that eat the wiring in our cars. I had them eat the fuel injector wires on my Jeep and the vacuum hoses in my F150. Both were easy fixes, but a bit of pain.