ad: AlphaRF-1

Dipole SWR readings, trim antenna or call it good?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N6WZQ, Apr 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO there's actually nothing wrong with a well-designed OCFD. The magic is all in the transformer, and a common 4:1 current balun is probably okay sometimes, but not necessarily the best.

Depends where you feed it, how long the wires are, and even how high above ground it's installed.

Even a poorly matched dipole can usually "receive" fairly well, but may not accept transmitter power well unless it's critically matched because so much applied power will be reflected and eventually absorbed by the coax. Even "receiving" signals depends a lot on antenna height above ground.

I can change the apex height of my 40/80m inverted vee, which is supported by my telescoping tower, so it's up 55' when the tower is "up," and about 25' when the tower is "down," and it only takes a minute or so to go from one height to the other.

The difference can be astonishing.

2. KD6RF

KD6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another interesting 6 M activity is Meteor scatter. Naturally, the number of hits varies a lot depending upon which showers happen to be around, but JT meteor scatter software mode is pretty cool.

It's fun to listen to the audio and hear the buzz burst from bounced signal off of the ionization trail. Kinda sounds like a short diesel-engine-clatter sound.

Easy to work a fair amount even with just a dipole (I used my HF Inverted-L) but naturally a gain antenna is really what works best.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    NH7RO likes this.