Dipole SWR readings, trim antenna or call it good?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N6WZQ, Apr 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me modify the above for the OP.
    It has been said many times on this forum about specific and sometime "popular" antennas which were being analyzed here
    - it is a compromise antenna.

What I find peculiar - why would anybody deliberately started with such antenna , and I do hesitate to even call it compromise.

There are only two reasons to do that - persons lacks fundamental interests in antennas and subscribes to common wisdom that "anything will radiate". (I did not say knowledge, just interest. )

Nobody is stopping you to build your "antenna", I am just saying you should have taken time to "build it on paper" ,
    Then measuring your 40 meters dipole ( and that what you have) on frequencies not related to fundamental resonant frequency won't be subject to writing home about.

I am not saying not to experiment , but you will get what to pay for - simple as that.

73 Shirley

2. N6WZQ

N6WZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been licensed for about 30 years but never used my license until the last 6 months or so. Guess you could say I'm brand new to HF.
    Do dipoles not work well on 6 meters? I have a new old stock Diamond GH-62 sitting in my spare bedroom, not sure if I will put it up or not.

3. N6WZQ

N6WZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

With limited vertical and horizontal space on my lot, what would have been a better choice for me to put up?

4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I live in on top of a mountain, one of the highest points on the east coast. I was very active on 6 back in the late 60's & 70's when I lived in Ohio and really had a ball on the band although I had did have a beam. When I moved here I really got a itch to get back on 6 and purchased a dedicated 6 meter rig (IC551) and put up a 6 meter dipole at 70' which I thought would be great considering I was 2,000' above sea level. I had very limited success running 150 watts. I then put up a 6 element wide spaced beam at 60' and seldom make a call without a response. My point is, even during openings I had a difficult time making contacts with the dipole up high on top of a mountain versus the beam. When the band is open, with persistence, you will make contacts. Ground wave you will have a real problem reaching out and touching someone.

My point was that you will make more contacts and more fun having the best antenna you can put up as high as you can get it for one or more bands. Looks like you could have enough space for a 40 meter 1/2 wave dipole, if that is the case you could easily build a 40/30/20/10 meter parallel dipole that would have better results across those bands than an OCF dipole, in my opinion, and still only require 1 feed line. 6 meter beams are small, if you could get even a 2 element beam on top of your house you would get in the ball game on 6.

5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I know for a fact that it will not work very well sitting in a box in your bedroom; put it up on a twenty or thirty-foot pole and I guarantee you will start having fun on the Magic Band in a couple more weeks...

Fast forward a little while more and you'll want to graduate to a small Yagi for six. Yes, dipoles will work OK for sporadic E openings but some added gain and F/B will make the pursuit all the more addicting.

6. SM0GLD

SM0GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree to this.
    This OCFD fed at 33% will only have 40, 20 and 10m resonances, nothing in between.
    I found out that the 5.1MHz resonance was related to the coax length.

7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A regular 40m dipole. OCFs can be persnickety to use.
    If you chose this because it's a 40m dipole that's supposed to be able to go to the next lowest band, I think that was covered in one of your previous threads. If you had the room, IMHO, an 88ft dipole would have been the way to go. Anyway .....

IMHO ( again ) you are way overthinking.
    Get on the air. You'll see what is and what isn't. What you want, what you need, and which way you need to go as you get airtime.

No matter how much you build and tinker or ask questions ..... you're not actually gonna find anything out until you use it.

NH7RO likes this.
  8. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I am prejudiced - I prefer single band antennas - 20 meters vertical delta loop would need approximately space of 7 x 6 meters.
    And the height is not that critical.
    Move feed point around to experiment ( two phased verticals) , build a simple matching section ( no balun, tuner ) etc...
    You could go crazy and make two of them phased...

Of course 40 meters would be a horse of different color as far as space / height goes.

73 Shirley

NH7RO likes this.
  9. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

You can take each wire/element on the ends and fold them back on itself, twist them around the wire to shorten it. Do the same with each wire/element and see what your readings are. If you want to put it back where it is now, then undo it. No cutting necessary.

SM0GLD likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6m FM isn't very popular in "most" places, but you may have some good local repeaters or something -- pays to find out.

"Most" activity on 6m is "weak signal" mode activity -- SSB/CW/digital. For many years it was 90% SSB and 10% CW or so (my opinion) but in more recent years, digital activity has certainly picked up. But most users have beam antennas on rotators, and the higher, the better.

I've been on six since 1966 and must say, like Steve WA8UEG wrote, with any kind of dipole you won't hear or work much unless you happen to catch a good opening, like a Sporadic-E peak, which mostly occur from late May to early July; under "normal" conditions, it's all tropospheric (not ionospheric) and without a good beam in most locations there's nothing much to hear.