dimming ac led bulbs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7ZA

AF7ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh too funny looking at the life span. Don't cha know that their like dog years, so 13 LED light years is about 2+ human years if your lucky.

2. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The low wattage CFLs (which nobody locally has stocked for years) did have a pretty amazing lifespan. All lasted > 3 years and I have a couple that are >10 years old. Most were changed out no because they went bad but because they were too dim.

High wattage CFLs didn't last much longer than incandescent.

Older LED (name brand) were all over the place for life. Some gave out in less than a year, most in the 2-3 year range, a few are >5 years old. About twice the life of incandescent at (that time) 20x the cost. All the brands were equally bad. The weakness seems to be in the power supplies.

The past ~3 years I've been using the bulk box LEDs from Costco. Relatively low cost and so far I have had 1 out of about 30 go bad.

3. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My older low wattage CFLs are also still going after 5+ years. I don't think I've ever used one in a dimmer situation.

As far as new bulbs, the Eco-Smart from Home Depot burned out relatively quickly. I've had good life from the Philips bulbs.

5000K in the bathroom and 2700K in the living room.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/dimmable%20led%20bulbs?NCNI-5

4. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard the President today said he was going to bring back the old filament bulbs. Youll have a choice!

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost every light in our house is now LED. Most are the dimmable type purchased in the last three years (HD house brand and Cree). The dimmers are the incandescent type and they all work fine. What RFI noise there used to be from the dimmers is reduced because the LEDs use less current.

The early LED bulbs didn’t dim properly unless an LED compatible dimmer was used. Those cut the current on the back side of the AC half-cycle rather than on the front like incandescent dimmers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dimmers... A solution looking for a problem.

7. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In my experience, the claim that LEDs last longer is mostly BS. In the past couple of years I've had to replace numerous ones that crapped out on me, almost all of which were 1 to 3 years old. Kinda makes me wonder... we take their word on reduced wattage requirements. Has anyone actually checked this? :rolleyes: I'm from Missouri, show me. :p