ad: w5yi

dimming ac led bulbs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding bulb life: I've noticed that this is 'hit or miss'. I like to sharpie the install date on the bulb to see how long it lasts.

Apparently these 'led filament lamps' have a large number of LED junctions in series, operating at higher voltage and lower current. Some of these may use simple resistive current limiting rather than a more complicated driver, and thus may be easier to dim, though because of the non-linear nature of the LED junctions this dimming will be non-linear as well.

-Jon

2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Squint

K5PHW and K4AGO like this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

double oxymoron.

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like this answer... YOU MADE MY DAY... Thank you!!!!!

5. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps we just need dimmable sun glasses.They could start them off a 99 dollars for 2k then come out with a 499 dollar 4k.Apple could solve the dimming problem for all light sources.

I can see it now the sun glass x11.

While they are at it they can make them Wi-Fi tv compatible.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

A hammer has always worked for me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I did this with the florescent bulbs that were all the rage a few years ago. They were claiming 5 year life and I was lucky to get a year out of them.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have incandescent bulbs that have out lasted many CFL and LED bulbs.

9. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

How how they come up with their "bulb life" is am amazing feat of marketing. You will always see an asterix * next to those claims and reading how they come up with those numbers shows the amount of market spin they put on it.

I got a pack of GE brand LED bulbs the other day. They claim 6 year life span. That is 6 years when only used 3 hours a day. So when you use it more, your life goes down. If you average 6 hours a day, you can expect half that lifespan, assuming a linear usage curve. That works out to only a bit over 9 months of continuous use.

Of course, a similar incandescent bulb has a life of 1.4 years at 3 hr/day, or 2.1 months of continuous.

Marketing spin at its finest.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you turn them on?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo