dimming ac led bulbs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB4MNG, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of new vintage - filament ac led bulbs I would like to put in the shack on display with my vintage station. I would like to dim them down a bit. Anyone had any luck with this. I've put them on a dimmer switch but either the are on or off. Any easy way to do this?

Thanks brian

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N4FZ likes this.
  3. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

You got two choices. Either chop the current......or install a series inductor, to drop voltage.

Or put bulbs in series.

4. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some leds are dimable and some aren't. Standard dimmers for incandescent bulbs may not be compatible with led lights. There are dimmers specifically for led lamps but may not work for all. I suspect that all this confusion is a result of the power supply used with led fixtures. Places I know that have converted to leds on a large scale, like my church, have discovered that while the leds may have a long life, the power supplies, not so much. Of course you cannot replace just the power supply.

AD7I and K4AGO like this.
  5. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

"new vintage - filament ac led bulbs"......... confuses me.

KI7HSB and WR2E like this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In my barn, I had room with four CFL lights in the ceiling. Because of a change in the entrance, I needed to add a remote power switch, with a dimmer. I installed the new switch but nothing seemed to would work. Then, I replaced one of the CFL bulbs with a incandescent bulb. After that everything worked the way it was suppose to. They now turn on/off with the remote, and they can be dimmed.

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

20191202_173422.jpg
    A la wallly world

N4FZ likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2019-12-2_20-3-40.png

* If left in package

W4ZD, AD7I, G3ZPF and 3 others like this.
  10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's what they're calling those accent lights that look like old light bulbs fed at a low voltage with visible amber filaments but are actually LED strips.

They're described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_filament