Digital Voice Is Way Better Than Analog.. Yeah, I Said It.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0LWC, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Digital voices mode continue to grow in popularity around the world, and for good reason. The hobby needs to not shy away from this evolution, but rather embrace it and find ways to use it to recruit new ham radio operators to the hobby.

AE8W likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a Tech license and a digital handie-talkie I guess you didn't work the Heard Island DX-pedition :)
    There's more to ham radio than what you are going on about.

WQ4G, NL7W, W7DAZ and 11 others like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

He is right Bill, but you are looking at it all wrong. It is all about digital, 0's and 1's, on and off, dits and dahs. CW 4 lyfe.

NL7W, K4AGO and KQ9J like this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The way analog gradually gets noisy at the fringes of reception is one of its useful characteristics. It provides a continuous signal strength indication that can't be missed. That makes it easy to tell when your signal is getting weak, and by moving around while the other guy is talking, you can easily find the spot where the signal is strongest. I'll take analog noise over a digital sudden dropout any day.

NL7W, WA8FOZ, K9ALT and 5 others like this.
  5. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't go so far back to have had an AM modulator tube, but I've heard guys on boat anchors that sound pretty darn good in < 10kHz. Even back in the 90's - one of the local FM guys had me chopping up the speaker mic I had for my HTX-202 so that I'd sound reasonably good (I didn't appreciate it at the time and ended up tossing that modified speaker mic). I find that the two ham digital modes I listen to make people sound more different than they sound in person than the old modes.

I really don't think that these digital modes are really that great in the audio quality department, but they have merit when it comes to audio consistency, so I guess it depends on your definition of "better".

WQ4G, NK2U, VK2WP and 2 others like this.
  6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you know why Aircraft use AM?

NL7W and WN6U like this.
  7. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

no capture effect by the strongest signal, so any distress signal can be heard, even if it is very weak.

WA8FOZ, W7DAZ, NK2U and 3 others like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

To each his own. Thought I would see what the digital communications were all about and picked up a Yaesu fusion radio after doing the research and discovering it was the most prevalent mode in this area.

While digital may have some advantages good sound is not one of them. It is without a doubt very artificial and unpleasant sounding audio when compared to analog FM. I have in the background the analog rebroadcast of the Pa State Police on the Turnpike and it seems not a day goes by when the audio, at times, is unreadable or what they refer to as "going digital". With the danger involved in motor vehicle stops the mode is, in my opinion, a life-threatening means of communication for the troopers on that highway.

N0NB, WQ4G and KI3U like this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really have anything against digital but...

:p

Otherwise, I enjoyed watching the video and you brought up some interesting reasons outlining some advantages using digital.

I think this will be an interesting discussion. Well done. :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    NL7W, K9ASE, KP4SX and 2 others like this.
  10. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

1977 Digital Voices.

[​IMG]

NL7W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.