ad: k1jek

Digital Radio Mondiale, -any software for SDRPlay?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by 2E0CIT, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi !
    Does anyone know of any Digital Radio Mondiale decoding software to run with my SDRPlay, my CCW SDR-4+, or with an RTL dongle that I can easily use without first having to take a degree in software compilation? :rolleyes:
    DRM software that I've seen seems very complicated to install, with different components coming from different sources and the feedback from those trying to install it is very negative. Instructions are written not in plain English but in an ancient and esoteric dialect of Geeko-Nerdese.;)

(A few years ago I bought a DRM decoder kit to put together that takes its input from the IF of my HF radio but that would involve me bravely taking a soldering iron to my FT-450D, possibly with :eek: disastrous consequences. The SDR route is far more attractive.)
    73 y'all Jeff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Radio_Mondiale

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jeff.
    Have a look at "Dream"
    I have used it with an I/Q input either from a local SDR or one of the Kiwi Web SDRs.

Frank

2E0CIT likes this.
  3. 2E0CIT

Thanks Frank, -will do !
    74 Jeff

4. 2E0CIT

OK, have downloaded Dream but then got an error message saying it couldn't find WinPcap.dll so searched for and downloaded it, installing it in the same folder as Dream giving the .exe permission to run when the pc boots.
    Now the error message when I try to start Dream has changed to 'no Qt platform plugin could be initialized'.
    No idea what a Qt platform plugin is or where to get one ...!

Running Windows 10 64 bit. If I can't get this thing working I'll have to uninstall all of it as I don't want a mystery .exe running at boot maybe causing probs.
    73 Jeff

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember seeing a plug in for SDR Sharp that would work with any of those receivers. I remember installing it but can't find it now, so not on this computer. sorry! Anyways, we receive no DRM in 6 land

2E0CIT likes this.
  6. 2E0CIT

Thanks Cliff, I'll keep looking. Disappointing that such an interesting mode with FM-quality stereo broadcasts on MW and SW is so hard to set up.
    73, Jeff
    p.s Love the rockets and tracking kit!!! As a 17 year old I once got in trouble for making rocket fuel in an oil refinery lab I worked at. (I didn't really make the place any more dangerous than it already was :rolleyes: but later on I was commended for putting out lab fires faster than anyone else.)

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

wow dangerous job! I sure wouldn't hire a 17 year old for something like that. Please pst a picture showing all 10 of your fingers ....

2E0CIT likes this.
  8. 2E0CIT

Thanks for your input guys but no success so far. I'm still looking to run DRM so if anyone has anything to add I'd be grateful.
    It strikes me that the same technology to used to send and receive DRM public broadcasts could be used in ham applications.

9. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never run the Windows version of Dream but under Linux, its fine.

I have transmitted DRM audio with a 10kHz bandwidth, its not easy and has not been used much by others but checkout Easypal, for digital image transmission.
    Easypal (and QSSTV for Linux) both use the same modulation scheme as DRM (COFDM) modified to fit into a 3kHz channel.

Frank

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    2E0CIT likes this.
  10. 2E0CIT

Thank you Frank, we have so many computers here at home and it's high time I learned about Linux so I'll set one up and see how I get on. I enjoyed reading about your radio engineering work and I value our ex-BBC hams !
    I made a start into MMSSTV a few years ago but it seems difficult to find any signals these days. FT8 is a brilliant mode but there's so much more to explore. Again, I'll keep looking!
    73 Jeff