ad: wmr-1

Digital on 2 meters

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KE5KTU, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KE5KTU

KE5KTU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Im off the coast of New Jersey calling CQ on 144.144. Does many stations run digital on 2 meters and if so, what frequencies and modes are popular ?

2. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. You’ll likely need a sched to find someone. You might find weak signal like FT8 or one of the other JT modes from guys doing EME. These days I can call CQ on HF for an hour and not find anyone, VHF would be like lottery odds.

3. KE5KTU

I wish I could SKED, but I often have no idea where Ill be as Im marine Mobile !

4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the craft is large enough a 20m dipole would get you a pile of digital activity. It’s the one band and maybe 40m with some consistent activity.

5. KE5KTU

Oh, it’s a 371 foot seagoing barge. A vertical is much better, I’d have to do more deck penetrations which are time consuming. I will have HF going, but I’d like to play with it on 2 meters for now.

6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is MSK144 for meteor scatter and JT mode activity on 2 meters, more of it during the contest weekends. You will have best luck with a horizontally polarized antenna. Not really sure about any PSK31 activity (on 144.144Mhz).