DIGITAL MODES :

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by M0XRZ, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. M0XRZ

M0XRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What do yo think is the best digital mode : - D-STAR , C4FM, DMR and so on, and why is it the best. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUOTE : - "The most expensive thing in life is experience" .

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"The best Jerry, the best!"

The best digital mode is whichever one people are using and I can make contacts on. Lately the JT modes/FT-8 have been interest. I really need to get back on PSK31 though and perhaps try out Olivia. Hope to be on a few of the RTTY contests in 2019.

KZ4KX, WD0BCT and W4JHU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

CW because no computer is required

Dave
    W7UUU

KS2G, WZ4I, KK4NSF and 3 others like this.
  4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"CW because no computer is required"

CW isn't a Ham digital mode. Never was, never will be, no its not 0's and 1's ... Jeeze when will people give that lame comment a break.

Just try to get DXCC by submitting 100 CW QSL's.

ND6M likes this.
  5. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

The signal is ON or OFF. 1 or 0. It is digital. A "dit" is 1 a "dah" is 111. CQ is encoded as 111010111010001110111010111 Looks like digital to me!

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are smoke signals also digital?

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait. What?

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be digital but CW is not binary. It's trinary, 3 symbols: off, on, space. Can't parse it without that separator.

9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Completely wrong! Thats like saying ASCII is not binary because there's dozens of symbols!
    There is only on or off. Sound or no sound. The length of each differs to convey meaning. If "1" is on, "0" is off. Just like "111" is dah, (3x dit) "000" is a space between letters and "00000" is the space between words.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

ASCII symbols can be represented by decimal and hexadecimal numbers. And by the printed characters. Nothing binary about it.

Yes ASCII transmitted serially uses mark and space. And stop bits. And IDLE (NUL) characters.

Think about it for a while.