ad: w5yi

Digital modes FT-100

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WZ2N, Jul 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ2N

WZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT-100 that I am trying to get on digital modes. I know some of the downfalls of the rig as far as no VOX operation on digital modes and so forth but I am wondering if there is anyone using or who has used one that can give me a little rundown on what worked/didn't work for them. I see all kinds of conflicting info and can't quite figure out my best option. It isn't my main rig but I'd like to be able to do some 6m digital on it and it's the only rig I currently have that will work on that band. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. W9KHP

W9KHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an FT-100d as my current digital rig. I started out only using the microphone sitting next to a computer speaker and then purchased a Signalink USB that I currently use and it has made life much easier. Along with the CAT cable and data port accessories this has been a great rig for me being a new guy to all of the digital modes out there. Any specific questions you have please ask away. I will do my best to answer them with the limited knowledge I have this far.

Raymond - W9KHP

3. WZ2N

WZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply. So with the signalink give me some idea of how this is working. Do you run from the RJ45 to a RJ11 and connect to the mic input. Are you are using the CAT cable for rig control in your software? Using DIG mode on the rig? How is the rig keyed? I just am not finding a lot of good info out there and I figure the best info is firsthand experience anyway.

W6TY likes this.
  4. W9KHP

I use the CAT cable for rig control (USB) with Fldigi (for PSK31) and WSJT(JT-65 & JT-9). I have the data port cable that comes with the Signalink is the TX out RX in interface to my computer via USB. I still have the microphone connected in but only use it when working SSB. I only use the USB(Upper Sideband) mode and not the DIG mode as I have read that it does not have the best results.
    The biggest thing I found out was to make sure your rig is at full power (100w) but turn your mic gain back so the ALC is not kicking in at all. Some say a little flicker is OK but I have nothing showing on my display when I TX. You can adjust the power output by the TX control on the Signalink itself. I normally do not run anything more than 20w and it is usually around 5-10w. On a couple of really rare occasions I have bumped it up to 30w but I was trying to get a call back from a VK2 station. Yeah it didn't help. hahah I hope this helps and below you will find some more information and what I use. Anything I missed answering please let me know.

I found some good information on this rig when I first purchased it used. http://k0lee.com/ft100faq.php

My digital setup items:
    SLUSB6PM SignaLink USB for 6-pin Mini DIN Data (External USB Soundcard interface) (Ebay)
    Yaesu USB CT-62 CAT (CAT control cable) BLINQ.com
    3.5mm Speaker cable (From radio to SignaLink) had a few laying around

Software:
    FLdigi (PSK31 mostly)
    WSJT (JT65 & JT9 just got into this one a couple of weeks ago)
    Log4OM (Logging software that will link to both of the above and has ability for RIG control as well)
    VAC(Virtual Audio Cable) I use this just to split the sound coming in from the SignaLink to my computer speakers.

I have used HRD but I just don't like it. To complex for a new guy like me and I am an IT geek by profession.

5. WZ2N

WZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm using all the same stuff (minus the signalink) with my TS430 currently. That makes good sense to me. I wasn't sure the rig control would work...I haven't been successful getting FLDIGI and the radio to talk yet. I will have to experiment a little. Did you need to change any jumpers in the signalink? Seems I read something about needing a jumper and a resistor added somewhere in the chain for this rig.

6. W9KHP

I did have to make to necessary connections within the signalink according to the instructions that were sent with the unit, however it did not call for a resistor.

Which Rig Control setting are you trying to use within FLdigi? I am using Hamlib myself and have found that once I set it up I needed to shut the program down and start it back for the settings to work.

7. WZ2N

WZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly I just got the CAT cable and started noodling with it ("Instructions? Instructions? We're hams" he said as a mushroom cloud erupted from the shack) I didn't spend any real time working on it. I wanted to get a rundown from somebody that had actually successfully connected one before I bought anything else. I didn't have much of a starting point and wasn't sure which of the 5 different ways to hook things up might actually give me some results. I think I'll jumper my rigblaster and get the DATA cable and see if I can get everything to talk. Thanks for your help it was good to know that it CAN be done at least.

8. G4POP

G4POP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WZ2N

WZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you...I actually have watched a bunch of these videos and am a LOG4OM user! Thanks for all your help it is invaluable. I really like the program & just got the log and FLDIGI talking to each other...also figured out the cluster and some other functions all thanks to these vids. Now I just need to get the rig talking and get some of my dig modes working. A little daunting as I have always been a paper log and straight key CW op but it's time to reap some of the benefits of the digital age I guess! Thanks Terry!

10. W9KHP

Greg I really look forward to seeing how you make out on this and as soon as you do let me know. I will fire up the rig and try to make a QSO. Best of luck and please feel free to ask about anything. If I haven't ran into it yet, or broken it yet more like it, I will try to find some info for the both of us and others reading this post.

Raymond