ad: UR5CDX-1

Digital mode testing with FRS

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K7MHI, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt if you'll get thrown into Leavenworth, but there are restrictions on use of FRS for data:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/octqtr/47cfr95.193.htm

The most onerous restriction seems to be that the data transmission can't exceed one second, and there can't be more than one in a thirty-second period.

If it's in your basement and not radiating outside your own property, it's probably not a serious violation. But it's probably not a good idea to use it for actual communications purposes, unless you follow the rules, which limit the utility quite a bit.

You could probably accomplish the same thing with a Part 15 baby monitor, and not have to worry about breaking the rules.

3. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks for the info I couldn't find that. yea Im not planning on blasting people the baby monitor is a fun idea, I just have FRS radios at my disposal

but I will update my blog post with your information thanks!

im just wanting to learn how to use and recognize poor digital signals properly so some day when I can move to a good antenna location I can listen to something other then CW

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're in the Denver field office's territory I wouldn't do it. They have a mean lady there that busted somebody for having a part 15 device that was less than 1dB over the limit. Fined him $10,000 for that. She's really making friends and influencing people!

5. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a link for that?

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Your getting the straight scoop on digital transmissions not being legal on FRS is correct. I think that the 1 second transmission was something added to the rules to make GPS location systems work.

Frank:)

7. KI6DCB

KI6DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Riley's evil [fraternal] twin?

8. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

If I'm not mistaken, digital is permitted on MURS. I know you have FRS radios, but for anyyone with legal MURS radios, perhaps this is useful info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.