Digital Interference 40 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0UO, Jul 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good grief.
    Earlier today I saw a post from a ham in Cuba on FB. Wasn't anything political.

2. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can discuss discussing whatever you wish, as long as you don't actually discuss what the moderators do not wish to be discussed. Simple.

W4HM likes this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere in another dimension Orwell is holding his head in his hands saying "I warned you"

WN1MB, W9HJ, W4HM and 3 others like this.
  4. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Their shift ended and managment won't pay overtime. ;-)

W5NKE and K0UO like this.
  5. VE3SDQ

VE3SDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently Cuba is jamming some ham bands to silence contacts due to the current political situation and protests.

KO4PYL and N5WTF like this.
  6. WD8T

WD8T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely a case where political unrest and government retaliation is having a direct effect on our ability to operate.

N4EF, KA2FIR, K4NWD and 3 others like this.
  7. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Signals are back... S-7 to S-8

K0UO likes this.
  8. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow.

Just getting up to speed on this phenomenon. I just posted about the noise not realizing that many others have already seen it and reported it here. Guess I should have paid more attention to what's going on on the "ZED".

After reading through all the posts on this thread (apparently there is another), and doing some quick googling, I found this:

For those of you in doubt of the source, check it out.

N4BC and KE5OFJ like this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It has been posted already, But Josh did a nice job on that video

N4BC, W4NNF and KO4PYL like this.
  10. KQ9I

KQ9I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not think this is aimed at ham radio operators, except in the most tangential sense. I'm seeing plenty of FT8 from Cuba on 20m, 30m, etc. If their receiver front ends were being overloaded by jamming, they'd be unable to complete a QSO. It makes no sense to try to jam 1 band and not all the bands...IF you're worried about hams communicating.

I think this is likely aimed at SWLs in Cuba, and is meant to jam the foreign 6-7mhz broadcasts. Trying to jam hams is pointless: we'll figure out a way to get through it. For one thing, you could just get on 2m SSB and easily hit Miami. If the Cuban government was worried about hams, they'd just order all ham stations to cease operation on pain of jail. Simple. Just send the cops around and make them turn over radios or take down antennas.

But they ARE concerned about mass media. Maybe there are a lot of shortwave receivers in Cuba. Or more likely, the unbelievably resourceful Cubans homebrew a lot of broadcast receivers that easily pick up the ~40m broadcast band.
    Also, has anyone checked if the AM bands are being jammed? I'd imagine AM from the USA is easy to pick up in Cuba.

W5NKE, KM4OZ and KG5RKP like this.