Digital Interference 40 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0UO, Jul 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, and you beat me to it!

:)

Cuba shut down the Internet. Cuba silences dissidents. Cuba has jammed broadcasts in the past. Cuba is a repressive regime. Cuba attempts to prevent honest and critical discourse among its citizenry. Therefore:

This philosophical razor advocates that when presented with competing hypotheses about the same prediction, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions, and that this is not meant to be a way of choosing between hypotheses that make different predictions.

WN1MB and K7JEM like this.
  2. W5EBB

W5EBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thousands of hams in the US and across the world are now angry at whoever is responsible for this "jamming." That much is certain.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Translation: The ARRL isn't going to do anything or get involved in any way.
    Translation: The IARU isn't going to do anything or get involved in any way.

Someone please explain to me why this "official" word from ARRL on this matter is coming from Headquarters' Product Development Manager and not from a more appropriate office cubicle at 225 Main?

"Bob Inderbitzen is the Product Development Manager for ARRL The National Association for Amateur Radio®, and has been on the ARRL HQ staff for 30 years. He advances, with his staff colleagues, ideas that lead to new and improved ARRL membership programs, services, and products." - reference: https://ema.arrl.org/2021/06/30/arr...itzen-nq1r-hamxposition-2021-keynote-speaker/

1 person likes this.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This sounds like our national organization is taking no action. I hope that is not the case. In prehistoric times, ARRL would take the intruder report and walk down the hall to IARU HQ. IARU would then file whatever complaint was proper. I checked - it looks like IARU is still in Newington. Sometimes, complaints do get results.

As for the source and purpose of the transmissions, jamming seems likely, but the question persists, 'jamming what?'. I hope this isn't yet another kind of cursed over the horizon radar. Since others here report that the signals started at the same time as the widespread protests, perhaps the Cubans are trying to detect airborne troop transports, to try to prevent a Bay of Pigs II?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    WN1MB and (deleted member) like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither the ARRL nor the IARU nor the FCC nor anybody else has ever been able to stop Cuban jamming. What do you suggest? A stern letter? Maybe in all caps? ;)

K4PDX and N0TZU like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

"Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".
    Change my mind.

W4NNF and (deleted member) like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m not surprised, and didn’t expect they or any other organization could do much, including the FCC, ITU, IARU. It’s essentially impossible for anyone outside of Cuba to stop the jamming, short of military action which obviously isn’t going to happen. They are already embargoed.

I’m certainly not happy about it, and wish it were different, but blaming the ARRL is misplaced.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Misplaced blame for the ARRL is a ZED staple. You trying to starve these guys?

NG1H and W4NNF like this.
  9. N0TZU

Or stop Soviet jamming, or PRC jamming, to name a couple, or any other government supported international rogue radio transmissions I can think of.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    W4NNF likes this.
  10. N0TZU

That would be futile.

W4NNF likes this.