ad: Alphaant-1

Digital interface info for Icom 745

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N8YX, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

(You can't really call a smallish, solid-state rig a boat anchor so I suppose it's a "classic".)

Does anyone have info about which computer-control board (EX-309, UX-14, etc) Icom offered for use with this radio? And if so: Do you have installation instructions or other data? There is nothing in the IC-745 owner's or service manuals regarding such.

Thanks!

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can answer this for you, they actually didn't offer one.
    One thing you might investigate is what board was used in the IC-751.
    In many ways the two radios are the same and use the same modules.

I would start there, and compare logic boards.

Have fun, it's a good radio, I sure enjoy my 745.

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sue,

Been there, done that...as recently as last Thursday. Icom offered two different control boards for the '751 and neither look to be compatible with the '745's logic board - even though (as you pointed out) the synthesizers are very close in design.

My '745 is a recent acquisition - got hold of filters and an FM option board for the rig. Slaved it to an R-71 (soon to be replaced with an R-70) and an AT-100 rounds out the lineup. It's a lot of fun to operate.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had wondered about that, there is an undocumented connector on the logic board, you most likely saw it.

I don't remember if they made computer control an option for the IC-740 that most likely is a bit far back for that tech.... That radio is even closer to the IC-745. The reason I didn't suggest it earlier is because I don't believe there was any such interface offered for that ether.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

There's also an unpopulated spot on the logic board for a SIP connector and an IC of some sort. I'm wondering about that.

A 745 "with digital board" was recently offered for sale in the Swap Meet section. I e-mailed the seller and asked him what type of board was fitted but heard nothing back.

I may do that. Currently, one of my '751As is equipped with a UX-14px and I need to order several more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.