Digital calipers

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KL7AJ, Sep 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I measured the diameter of one of my arm hairs with my newfangled digital calipers. It's .00034" in diameter. These calipers only cost me $30. I forgot how much my old school micrometer cost, but it was a lot more than $30. Some things are better nowadays.

So quit yer whining about the good old days

N0TZU likes this.
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have 3 Starett's in my toolbox

3. KL7AJ

One o' me favrit fellers/

K9ASE likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

In general, machine shop stuff gives me the happies. I guess that's cuz I spent a lot of time in the garage with my dad, who designed helicopters for Hiller.

5. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

same here. Dad was a machinist at US Steel.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to take away your fun , but I do not want to help encourage cheap / low quality tools , we are already short of people that are able to use them to make & repair .
    Dang , I probably did ;(
    Started metal working in 8th grade machining , welding etc. --- that does not happen anymore ;(
    I had a fire a couple yrs. ago & lost about $250,000 in tools & equipment .
    Went buy a replacement digital calipers , couldn't afford the $150 - $200 ones , so bought the $30 ones .
    If you get a chance / know someone that has a good pair , work-em side by side - a huge difference .
    You may get the same / correct readings , but the cheap ones are soo ruff , you could not do a lot of measurements as quickly , or as easily .
    It takes more finesse to make a poor tool work well , as compared to a quality tool .

N4MTB likes this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, you do still get what you pay for. The difference is that nowadays the economy options are pretty decent and the average guy can afford them. Same for radios, scopes, spectrum analyzers, etc.

The high end equipment is still there and if one really needs it professionally it may still make sense to buy it. At work I used scopes and other equipment that each cost as much as a house and were well worth it. Now for my hobby use I have a $350 Rigol scope. I also have an HF micrometer :).

8. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never seen calipers that measured down to 1/100000 of an inch.

N1DQQ likes this.
  9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe 1 decimal place off.
    Mike N3PM

10. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've always used Starrett scales and instruments - but I'll tell you, some of these "disposable" Chinese digital calipers are not all that bad. :eek:

N7BDY and N0TZU like this.