difficult virus on windows 10 machine

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AB2T, Aug 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay so I was getting mysterious popups with no visual information on the screen. McAfee and Norton couldn't clean out the virus (spyware?). Now, the virus wants me to give it access to cmd. Like that's going to happen. However I'm afraid the virus will backdoor cmd and wreak havoc on my computer.

Any ideas? I, to my knowledge, haven't fallen victim to phishing or infected Word attachments. I just don't know how I got this virus. Anyone here experience a similar problem, especially with the virus demanding to access cmd? Is there any way to clear this out using Norton? I really don't want to spend more money on another antivirus suite, but maybe it's the only way of cleaning up the computer.

I can't wait to finish building my next linux box. I got a Windows laptop just to run zoom. How aggravating!

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a very generic and non-specific symptom for a virus infection. If McAfee and Norton *detect* it and error out trying to clean it, that's one thing. If McAfee and Norton don't even detect it, that's another thing.

One thing I can suggest is to try to update to the latest virus signatures for McAfee and/or Norton and try again.

If it still doesn't work, the McAfee and Norton folks might be busily trying to update their software to effectively eradicate a new virus (if this is a new virus). Give it a few days and try again.

Or, have you installed any new (free...) software recently? Especially if you've downloaded from places like CNET. Remove it and the mysterious popups may disappear.

Sorry, that's all I have for you.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suggest trying a 'Malware" program to remove it.
    Don't forget MS offers a free anti-virus program that you can download from their site.

Try re-running the anti-virus and malware programs as follows:
    -Disconnect from internet
    -Reboot computer
    -Select F8/F12 and boot into SAFE MODE
    -Run each of the programs
    -Repeat, and reboot into SAFE MODE

If still having problems, try deleting all internet files, temporary files, cookies. Reboot into SAFE MODE, and re-run cleaners.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K4RKY, N1DQQ, KF5RRF and 1 other person like this.
  5. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't seem to boot into safe mode. I try continually pressing the buttons F8/F12 while the computer starts. I will try scanning with the ethernet removed from the computer.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly I would try Malwarebytes first. I've used it on several occasions for this sort of thing on various versions of Windows, and it's very easy and fast (I also run it on Mac).

If that doesn't work, then as was suggested above going to Safe Mode and running your virus tools including Malwarebytes would be the next step.

Here are instructions for getting to Safe Mode in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

N1DQQ likes this.
  8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's already wreaked havoc on your computer. You don't know what it is, you don't know what it is doing and the anti-malware software avenue hasn't been fruitful.

Save any data you want to keep, rake around it and light it on fire ... by formatting and reinstalling the OS. Then, scan the data you saved before putting it back on your system.

AB2T and KP4SX like this.
  9. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Malwarebytes is worth a try (and the investment). My anti-virus of choice is Panda Security. For those who can't afford a paid AV subscription, go with AVG/Avast, ClamWinAV or Micro$oft's own AV. Enough said.

N1DQQ likes this.
  10. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Sage advice. I figured out that the virus is rather simple: give it permission and it'll fill your hard drive with junk files until there's no more room left. So I know what the virus will do.

The spare external drive is unaffected, so I can backup there. Thanks for the suggestions.