Difference Between High $ speakers and a $99 Speaker

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KA5ROW, Dec 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. BROJACK

BROJACK QRZ Member

I use PC speakers for my radio. Nothing fancy but works fine.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

As WD4IGX stated, Yaesu does make some speakers with filters for rejection of high-frequency noise. He also tells about getting the same effect from a DSP ( Digital Signal Processing ) equipped speaker or building your own filter ( analog or digital ). I was very happy with the Yaesu SP-4, which is not exactly an easy number for me to remember. I did use it with a Kenwood TM-D700a mobile that I mounted in remote locations. The high-cut filter ( a switched 47ufd cap according to another site ) reduces fatigue on long mobile calls ( especially as you get further from a repeater and the S/N increases ). You can see what others say about the SP-4 on a different website, e-ham net. I hope this helps- Numbers 6, 24-26.

3. KA5ROW

KA5ROW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I bought a good used speaker, Icom SP-20 $100.00. A good set of computer speakers were $69.00 and up. Should match, close enough is good enough. With two inputs I can use it for my Icom and Kenwood radio. I will sell my SP-21 and recover half the cost.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  4. K1DA

K1DA Ham Member QRZ Page

One can often improve a "matching" speaker by removing the driver itself and obtaining a high quality replacement from Parts Express.com or the like. Between the high end car speakers and replacement home audio drivers you can find the right size.
    I was amazed many years ago when I looked at the mingy magnet driver Collins put in their "matching" S Line speakers. At least Drake used a good standard car audio sized unit. Some "audio stuffing" makes the speaker sound better as well.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

You beat me to it. I wish you wouldn't do that---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No! It's oxygen-free copper cables that you want. And they must be terminated with gold-plated connectors. And, you must replace every cap in the audio amps with polypropylene film caps! rant.gif
    :D

7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Just putting some foam, or styrofoam, like comes as packing with many things these days, works wonders as to how any particular speaker "sounds". I added foam to the back of my Heath SB-600 speakers and the sound quality improved considerably.

sb-600-1.JPG

Glen, K9STH

8. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously, you forgot to mention that for the best sound, they should be AWG-2 guage oxygen-free pure Brazillian copper cables, assembled by Free-Range non-union Chickens at Monster Cable USA Inc., and the connectors should be powder coated with Beryllium oxide for maximum free-radical transfer. Any speaker costing less than $24,995.00 USD can't possibly sound decent.

But all that said, even a DEAD Free-Range chicken sounds better than a rig's built-in speaker :)

Guys; what this thread shows is that any $5 or $10 speaker element, in even a cardboard box, sounds just fine for communications use with SSB radios.
    Remember; we are talking about roughly 200hz to 2800hz required audio pass-band, like the telephone. :) That is NOT a tall engineering order for
    a paper loudspeaker. So we see that everyone is using something different, ranging from $5 to $300, and guess what, due to the limited audio range,
    they ALL work just fine.

Someone mentioned the high and low cut filters on the expensive Yaesu or Icom speaker. OK, really? :)
    If you want to waste money, go ahead. If you like the look, nothing wrong with that.
    But for function? Using the bass and treble controls built into your radio will do THE SAME THING, even with a $5 speaker.

Now, if you enjoy adjustment, looks, and just want to have fun; For the same price as that high-end Icom or Yaesu or Kenwood 990 speaker,
    you can go on ebay and get the following set up;

https://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio/BX5-D3-Crimson-2-way-Monitor.gc
    Amplified Audio Studio Monitor Speaker, so it can be fed with Line-Level output of audio rack gear.
    *AND*
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1198059-REG/behringer_fbq1502hd_ultragraph_pro_fbq1502.html
    Line Level 15-band EQ with far more high and low cut options than your Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood speaker.
    *AND*
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...X2600_MDX2600_COMPOSER_PRO_XL_Compressor.html
    a limiter/compressor/noise-gate of which one channel can control your rig's microphone and the other channel can come from your
    rig's headphone jack, prevent sudden ear damage when you are using headphone's to hear weak signal in the noise and some jack-ass
    starts tuning a full-legal amp on your channel. So you can feed the output of this unit direct to headphone, also feed the line level to
    the amplified studio monitor speaker, and do just about any audio processing or adjusting anyone could need.
    It's also general purpose line-level audio gear, so you can use it for stage work, recording work, etc, even youtube video production.

Earth to Simpson; You don't need ANY of this stuff. But if you like toys, adjustments, looks, and just having fun, it's for you :)

Cheers,

Neal

N0TZU likes this.
  9. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

In Feb of this year my Daughter gave me a real nice Bluetooth Speaker as she new my hearing was getting worse. Listening to music on my cell has become a great pastime as well. As a Ham, I couldn't resist playing with this new toy. I hooked the Icom speaker out to the Aux input of the Bluetooth Speaker. WOW! It's the best speaker I have ever used with my Ham Radio. Try it!!

Jim K0MAN

10. N2IIE

N2IIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to have to try that with my SB-600. It still sounds pretty good without it on the output of my TS-520S.