ad: M2Ant-1

Didn't I see a "Watch for Mt Athos" here?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K0MB, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Antennas being put up for 15m and 30m by the end of Sept? I've been haunting those bands w/no joy!
    Any newer news?

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a SV/a station on 20CW today. SV2RSG. Don’t need it but not many calling so I figured why not and got through on 2nd call. “Right place, right time…”

3. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, good for you! I sat in a pileup for a while.

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s the dilemma which I think troubles most people when coming upon a pileup for someplace they don’t need - do I play or simply listen because I don’t want to prevent another guy from working something he needs?

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He was 559 on the west coast on 20 CW yesterday

KP4SX likes this.
  6. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just listen or go find someone else to work. Sometimes I do just listen to the DX working others.

Yesterday I listened for Mt Athos but could only barely hear him and not well enough to try to work him. After a while my noise level came up to S4 and then I couldn't hear him at all. It would be an ATNO for me and at 334 they don't come up very often! Over some 40 years of seriously chasing DX I have never heard Mt Athos well enough to try to work them. I have listened for them many times! Oh well...The adventure continues!!

N4AWP likes this.
  7. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Donald...
    When I was looking up Mt Athos in the DX spots earlier today I saw an older spot that you had placed and you said "for someone with better antennas than me" in the comments.
    I was feeling your previous pain at that moment! :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  8. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked him, or someone pretending to be him, on 40 m tonight.

9. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone know the QSL route? The listed manager doesn't say on his page. I sent him an email, but I can't wait!

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Oh, that would be so wrong on several levels.... I truly hope that's not the case.

If you worked him on CW, and he was working split "UP 4" or so, it's far more likely he's the real deal.

Most scumbags who pretend to be the DX only run simplex (since the DX is NOT running simplex in cases like Mt. Athos). So as long as you were sending "split" I'm sure you worked the real deal.

Dave
    W7UUU

K5ABB likes this.