ad: elecraft

Did I Save Some Money?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you use 100pf or 240pf capacitors? Or no capacitors.
    Just curious

2. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

100pf when they arrive

K9EI likes this.
  3. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Today many of the new generation of hams are lazy and do not wish to learn or build anything.

For a little bit more you can build a much better quality balun. I have built 4:1, 9:1 and even 48:1 ones.

Learn, build and experiment, be real HAM !

Frank

W1YW likes this.
  4. K8AKC

K8AKC Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you wanted to make a communism joke, but Amazon is not communistic, it's Hyper-Capitalist/Neoliberal (which is against communism). Get your enemies straight.

KPK2019, N7BWB, 2E0CIT and 1 other person like this.
  5. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely he was referring to their main supplier.

KA5RIO, AB3QD and K4FMH like this.
  6. K9EI

K9EI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. You could also build the 49:1 and simply tie-wrap the 1:1 on the coax(RG8x or similar). This is how I have done it and you don't have to purchase a box. Cheap! Cheap!

Matt

7. N3TGY

N3TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

years ago I bought a bunch of T130-2 and T106-2 cores from Amadon ( had to buy enough for them to ship - I think was $20 minimum) I bought insulated and also enamel insulated (enamel wire easier *for my big hands* to wrap on the T106-2 cores. bought a bunch of stainless machine screws - elastic nuts and wing nuts , using PVC 'LB' boxes or Pull Boxes if you will and SO239's 'chassis mount type' and I went to town, building a ton of these 9:1 UnUn's - I've used one at my home for about 10 years now and it works a treat. but I think at the time to build one UnUn cost me about $3. so I think this is a great thing for a Ham to do. I've built BalUns and all sorts of different antenna transformers. I've tried to get some friends to try building their own antenna transformers because of the savings (and for fun).
    I've bought a few commercial transformers and there's some really good ones, and some junky ones. but my own seems to hang in there, and works just as good. it's a lot of fun.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

A tip for those running to Home Cheapo, Ace Hardware, or other local purveyors of hardware for antenna supplies:

If you're shopping for stainless steel hardware from store bins or carded stock, bring along a magnet and check every piece of the "stainless steel" hardware you buy. Misplaced stocking or sloppy customers sometimes results in ferrous hardware getting mixed in with genuine stainless steel hardware. Then there is the issue with imported "stainless steel" hardware of dubious integrity.

Or more simply put, some stainless isn't.

K2ERK, K4FMH, N3KO and 2 others like this.
  9. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know if you saved moeny until it is built and tested. If it doesn't work, then you are going to spend more money.

KO4CES likes this.
  10. N3KO

N3KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent buy, $22.99 is cheap and you will have the opportunity to build it back better at a later date. There are some great values on amazon and it’s empowering that you don’t have to search the countryside looking when it can be delivered to your door within days. Also, amazons return process is excellent if your product is not as expected or damaged by some dunderhead delivery person.

11. N3KO

N3KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent advice, store clerks cannot keep up with the masses, just returned from the big box where galvanized hex bolts were better organized when found on the side of the road.

12. NA4A

NA4A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

that looks like the same hammond enclosure I used, ended up just fitting a FT140-43 in it, went 3 primary 21 total turns, haven't had time to test it yet
    Sourced the enclosurer from Mouser

Attached Files:

N9NY likes this.
  13. K9RDU

K9RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

You think they are bad? Try posting a bad review on Bridgecom. P***ed me off so bad that there's a youtube video about it.

KO4CES likes this.
  14. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

15. KC1MRZ

KC1MRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bridgecom is overpriced as hell. I stay away from them

KE0GXN likes this.