Did I Save Some Money?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Far cheaper on the auction site for the same item.

2. KB9YOJ

KB9YOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think half of the stuff in the "kit" is unnecessary. Just get the wire and a ferrite core with a known value, and spray it with flex-seal. I made a 64:1 with a type 52 core for $10.......

3. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    If you build a random length end fed wire then you could use your kit to build a 9:1 balun for it but the EFHW needs a 49:1 transformer to work. The half wavelength wire has a very high impedance on it's end and requires the 49:1 to bring it down to match your 50 ohm coax. Some use a 64:1 xfmr. Don't forget to use a 1:1 to help block CMC on the feedline. Install it in the feed line at the outside entrance to the shack. You can buy a 4x4x2 wx proof electrical junction box at Lowes or Home Depot (or online) for using a FT240 size core. It works great. You can also build your 1:1 on a FT240-43 and use a electrical junction box for it.

Another good place for a kit or kit parts is HF KITS which is in Europe. They have good stuff but the exchange rate in currency and shipping means it gets a little expensive. Still there on line instructions for their kits may help someone.
    73 and keep up the good work!
    Experimenting with antenna design is a great part of being a Ham! I love it!

N3TGY, KS0E, KB9YOJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. NJ3T

Where did you find a FT240-52 core and the wire for a 64:1 for $10 ? I am interested in buying some.

KB9YOJ likes this.
  5. KB9YOJ

KB9YOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were much less than $10. My entire sha-bang was $10. Smaller size 1.5" cores. Ham-fests are your friend......

6. NJ3T

Did you use 100pf or 240pf capacitors? Or no capacitors.
    Just curious

7. KM9G

KM9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

100pf when they arrive

KB9YOJ likes this.
  8. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Today many of the new generation of hams are lazy and do not wish to learn or build anything.

For a little bit more you can build a much better quality balun. I have built 4:1, 9:1 and even 48:1 ones.

Learn, build and experiment, be real HAM !

Frank

W1YW likes this.
  9. K8AKC

K8AKC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know you wanted to make a communism joke, but Amazon is not communistic, it's Hyper-Capitalist/Neoliberal (which is against communism). Get your enemies straight.

KPK2019, N7BWB, 2E0CIT and 1 other person like this.
  10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely he was referring to their main supplier.

KA5RIO, AB3QD and K4FMH like this.