Did I read this correctly? Blinking your eyes to decipher Morse Code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AB3TQ, Sep 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

A chess player was thrown out of a tournament for cheating by using Morse Code to receive wining moves. Among other suspicious acts, he was blinking in an unusual manner. But why? A camera was transmitting the game board view. A receiver was picking up Morse Code move instructions. What did the eye blinking accomplish?

It is surmised that was an aid to help the cheater decipher the Morse message. Can that be a new Morse learning method? If you blink your eyes in sync with a received Morse Code message, will it aid your comprehension of the message? Do you read the story that way as well? Sounds a bit crazy. I think I would find all that blinking terribly uncomfortable.

I am glad he got caught. That said, what a strange cheating method. He didn't have sufficient chess skill, then he didn't have enough Morse Code skill to decipher the message undetected.

https://www.johnnyetc.com/chess-player-used-morse-code-to-cheat-during-tournament/

2. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

W4RLR likes this.
  3. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect there's some "muddled reporter" in that; I've seen other versions of the story that imply his blinking was one side of a conversation he was having with one of his accomplices. It's also entirely possible that the full details have not been released...

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the Pueblo crew sent Morse by blinking and the entire crew was beaten and tortured when it was found out...thanks to the press. :(

5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouldn't be a problem to have a receiver strapped to the skin, vibrating in Morse. This could be at a subaudible frequency. No different from receiving flashing light - just a different way of sensing it. Why he had to keep a hand in his armpit (a) and why he kept blinking strangely (b) are the questions I'd raise. Attach the receiver to his leg. Problem solved.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Blinking while receiving Morse is pretty much boloney invented by someone who knows nothing about the subject ! Maybe the reporter needed a bigger word count in his story to get more pay :D

M6GYU likes this.