Did I just receive my own signal on FT-8?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG4USK, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG4USK

KG4USK Ham Member QRZ Page

This might sound dumb, but is it possible to receive and decode your own signal on FT8? I was operating on 20 and had just stopped trying to call a DX station when I got an alert for my callsign in a message, but it appeared to be the message I had just sent.
    See the attached pic.
    By habit I double clicked it to respond and noticed I was sending a message to myself, then halted and tried again before realizing why the software was trying to call my own callsign.

Capture.PNG

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Dang! Send yourself a QSL card - quick!! :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Be afraid. VERY VERY afraid! :eek:

Maybe you got an echo! It's been known to happen before.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

There were just a few posts about echoes on the "Most Memorable Contact" thread. Interesting stuff. I've heard echoes before, but attributed to both long and short path at the same time.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

How much power were you using? Is the antenna properly tuned?

It's at -24, could be a kind of 'leakage'.

6. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had this happen quite a few times, but only when I stop calling someone mid-message.

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen that as well with WSJT-X. In JTDX there is a checkbox to ignores decodes if TX is interrupted mid-cycle.

8. KG4USK

KG4USK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering too if somehow the signal was picked up by my local hardware. The software would have to decode at the same time though and be a pretty "clean" signal if it were somehow leaked into the system I suppose.

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear that it's OK to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer back.........

KG4USK likes this.
  10. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

YEP!

A.ITS ALL RELATIVE.jpg

Layne AE1N

KG4USK likes this.