Did a "Wanted" ad on QRZ today and guess what?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N8WWM, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8WWM

N8WWM Ham Member QRZ Page

So far 3 replies from people purporting to be UK hams offering to sell me a TS-690.

I had photos sent to me in 1 case, after I asked. I asked how he wanted to be paid and he said Western Union. When I replied "Out of the question" he sent back to say that a Moneygram would be OK. After that I sent back that he HAD to come up with an alternative. Now, when and if I get a reply I am gonna tell him to take a pic of the radio receiving on 20 meters. The pic shows it on 6 meters.

Scamming scammers is fun.

2. G4SRN

G4SRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you bother, life is too short & you live longer without the stress. Treat them as SPAM & purchase your radio equipment from KNOWN main agents or the well known auction site.

3. N8WWM

UPDATE:
    Now, a fourth scammer has emailed me. He sent a photo of a TS-690 and asked for payment by Western Union as well. I emailed him back and asked him to provide photos of the rig QRV on different bands, since his photo showed the radio not powered up.

I am waiting until the next email, if any, to tell him that WU is out of the question. (snicker)

4. N8WWM

Dave, consider the stress and sometimes the big problems these type of people cause. Can you imagine how a young ham, or someone who is putting their last spare dollar into a first rig, might feel when these rodents steal their money? I am not a bit stressed about it, it can be better called amusing. I would be willing to bet the the 4 UK hams these people are impersonating are the ones open to being stressed.

5. G4SRN

G4SRN Ham Member QRZ Page

EVERY amateur radio opperator around the WORLD at sometime will have their call sign cloned & used, but five minutes into a QSO you know through their use of "RADIO JARGON" & "SOP" that they are PIRATES so we break off & QRT.What I do know is FUELING these people as you are doing does NOT HELP the situation.WHY would you want to purchase a radio from outside the US anyway ? when DHL, FED-X, Royal Mail or UPS have delivered it from England or Europe to yourself it "WOULD NOT WORK" trust me when I say this,they play football with FRAGILE parcels, so YOUR LAST SPARE DOLLAR HAS BEEN TOTALLY WASTED. You have loads of excellent radio stores in Americe along with the well known auction site, when I came home at Christmas 2011 I had been in America for over 4 years working on jackets & supply vessels in the Gulf of Mexico & I used to buy ALL radio equipment & spares from shore station shopping mall`s in the evening, in fact I have purchased radio equipment while I have been posted in the States & carried it back as hand luggage because it`s so CHEAP compared to Englands & Europes prices & thats even paying inport duty. SO PLEASE DONT FUEL THE NUTTERS, if we leave them alone & DONT RESPOND to their add`s they will get wise to this & go away & everyone saves their money & time, please DONT WORRY ABOUT THE BRITISH AMATEUR RADIO OPPERATORS we are a VERY TOUGH BREED.

6. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I can make them waste time it is fun. I had one go to Western Union office 4 times. He got very upset and sent me a message that I did not know who I was messing with. He was a big time person in the Nigerian government. I then gave him my address and told him that he was welcome to come by when he was in the US on his "diplomatice mission". I got tired sent a vulgar response and told him we would be waiting for him.

7. N8WWM

Dave,
    T know of no valid reason why you would be so incensed about what I am doing with these toads. Perhaps you could take your own advice, after a fashion, and just QRT about the issue. I am not doing or posting anything that warrants your outburst. While I'd never accuse someone of anything I wasn't sure of, there are a couple of unstated reasons that could have excited you to the degree seemingly shown. However, I find it interesting that the 4 toads have stopped emailing me as of yesterday, which was when you took notice of my first post.
    73 Doug

8. N8WWM

Exactly, William. These rodents are one of the resaons for an atmosphere of mistrust that has become so prevalent in the ham community. Since they don't care who they are hurting, it is only fitting that we find a little humor in making them frustrated. I have to question the motives of those who don't see it that way.

9. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

YOG,
    Keep it up! It reminds me of "messing" with the $#&* that come to the front door selling their #$&*@!
    Funny!
    Bob

10. N8WWM

To WE6C:
    I have a sign on the front door that says "DON'T KNOCK. WE AINT BUYING ANYTHING, WE AINT SWITCHING UTILITY PROVIDERS, WE AINT INTERESTED IN YOUR RELIGION, EITHER. IF YOU ARE NOT A FRIEND, NEIGHBOR, INVITED GUEST, COP OR OTHER FIRST RESPONDER, DON'T KNOCK."

I had to put it up. One day after 3 solicitors knocked within about 2 hrs. I just got tired of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.