ad: TinyPaddle-1

Dick Smith VK2DIK: Adventuring, Electronics & Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Nov 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dick Smith, VK2DIK has lived an adventurous and extraordinary life. He is a proud Australian, businessman, adventurer, entrepreneur and he single handedly changed electronics and the Amateur Radio and CB scene in Australia.

Dick has recently released his autobiography titled, Dick Smith: My Adventurous Life and on Friday November the 19th at 8pm AEDT (0900 UTC), we're privileged to sit down live with Dick on the Ham Radio DX YouTube channel. We'll be speaking to him about his adventure stories, including the first solo helicopter flight around the world, his business ventures and his early days and interest in radio.

Many of you listeners would have fond memories of walking into a Dick Smith Electronics to get the latest component for that project you are building, Funway kit, or maybe just to drool over that new rig! Yes this is the chance for all hams and electronic enthusiasts around Australia to say thanks to the legend that is, Dick Smith.

KT4RAM, YB0NSI, K8CGS and 10 others like this.
  2. WA7HAA

WA7HAA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Fair Dinkum"

WB5THT and VK7HH like this.
  3. VK2WE

VK2WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Bloody oath mate

VK7HH likes this.
  4. VK5SW

VK5SW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

G'day Everyone. I have recently made a Youtube music slideshow about Dick, VK2DIK. Click It runs for 3 minutes. 73, Rob. www.vk5sw.com

AA5BK, VK6APZ/SK2022, VK3SQ and 5 others like this.
  5. VK7HH

Good onya mate!

6. VK7HH

G'Day! How's it going mate

7. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

un exemple est être exceptionnel, Merci cela fait rêver !

W1LV likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember soon after Evel Knievel jumped a motorcycle over 17 school buses, Dick Smith jumped a school bus over 17 motorcycles. Loved it!

VK6RE/SK2024, HB9EPC, M0KNC and 2 others like this.
  9. W8QH

W8QH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good on ya Mate.

VK6RE/SK2024 likes this.
  10. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Dick is nothing short of an Australian Icon. As an adventurer and a businessman, he has stood up to the big evil corporates while running his business ventures but remained perfectly approachable as a normal person. He has always supported Amateur Radio in Australia and he is correctly proud to be an Australian.

This, from a "bloody Pom"! Who has respect for all Dick has done over the years!

73 Ed DD5LP / VK2JI / G8GLM.

Link to buy Kindle version of the book:
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Dick-Smith-ebook/dp/B09BMTH94S

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    VK6RE/SK2024, W1BR, WB5THT and 4 others like this.
  11. W6NFU

W6NFU Ham Member QRZ Page

I first picked up a copy of the Dick Smith Catalogue in 1983 from the Dick Smith store in Melbourne, Australia. The DATA section in the back of the catalogue had complete information on components such as Batteries, Capacitors, Resistors, all types of Transistors, Wire, and even wiring diagrams for Yaesu Microphones. On subsequent trips to "down under", Dick Smith was the first store I would head to, just to get that newest catalogue. The 2001-2002 is the last acqusition, still on the shelf as a valuable source of electronic information. Wish they would have had more success for their stores here in the States.

Dick's aviation accomplishments are much admired, a true Aussie.
    Dave - w6nfu

12. VK7HH

Haha he did! He writes about this in his book, very funny indeed

AH7I likes this.
  13. VK7HH

100% correct Ed! Looking forward to chatting with him. I hope you can tune in

VK2JI likes this.
  14. VK7HH

Yes the information in the catalogues and books were a wealth of information. I wish I still had my catalogues, I had a few from the 90's and early 2000's.

15. VK3AUX

VK3AUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm proud that Dick is one of our true blue Aussies. The work he has done for radio, and the philanthropist he is makes me proud. If we could have more built like Dick, our country could be even better off, and more self sufficient. We all loved visiting a Dick Smith store in the 70s, kits to build, toys to build on with. Thanks Dick for making electronics exiting, and available to us.

WB5THT and VK7HH like this.