ad: M2Ant-1

Diamond X-50A Paint Job

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4MU, Jan 1, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to make my X-50 a bit more stealthy. It's been up three years and isn't an issue with anyone but I just would like to make it more "invisible". How would spraying (only the white fiberglass mast not the mount or hardware) affect the performance. Using flat black, non-metallic spray paint. I'm thinking no real problem but asking anyway. Anyone else do this? What were results? Thanks.

2. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

I've experimented with various dark paints on fiberglass, testing each for electromagnetic effects in the near-field of other antennas. Thus far I haven't found one that caused problems. That's not to say there isn't a pigment that causes issues, but I'm betting most spray paints from local sources don't create problems.

If you have a specific paint in mind, give me enough detail so I can purchase the same and I will give it a test. I've been wanting to post an article about this anyway so your specific request it a good new year catalyst. I have a couple of X50 antennas and don't mind turning one dark.

3. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a medium blue-grey would be a better choice against the sky in winter and foliage in summer.
    You could even go so far as to make it splotchy with a medium tan. Look at camouflage patterns for WWII fighters such as Spitfires.
    And No - pigments are not going to bottle up your RF.

AK5B likes this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

K8DO nailed it already---battleship/Dish Network grey is the default go-to against sky, where shrubbery or trees are involved it pays to match the greens, browns and greys with a leafy or splotchy pattern, too.

Lord Stealth
    17th Earl of Camouflage

5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for info!. Didn't mean to cause you new work. LOL. The paint I have is plain old flat black Krylon and another can of same (can't recall Brand) both from Lowe's. Nothing specific...just black paint. I'll probably go ahead with plan in a week or two (not even home right now). I couldn't come up with issues. "The proof will be in the painting". (Sorry about that...) 73.

6. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way: The sky is not the issue. Just some tall Live Oaks...way behind the antenna if you're looking at the antenna. Black just does a nice job of covering the bright white against the background (dark) trees. I have painted a similar PVC pipe (supporting a discone) and it seems to do an adequate job. Oh, it's there if you're looking for it but a casual glance doesn't make it jump out at you. And again, I've not got "issues", just want a little bit more "camo" effect. Thanks to all!