ad: SDRKits-1

Diamond NR22L with an NMO mount

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE0CPH, Feb 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0CPH

KE0CPH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to get this antenna for my car:
    https://www.diamondantenna.net/pdfdocs/NR22L.pdf

I will not be storing it in a garage so the antenna height isn't an issue - it's actually one of the reasons why I want it.

The mounts recommended for that antenna are both trunk mounts. I'm wanting something like a permanent NMO mount.

Would something like this work:
    https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-ad-15m-4371

I ask because I'm unsure if an NMO and the adapter would be able to withstand the wind load of the antenna. I'll be installing this in a 2001 Ford Taurus on the roof.

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you want this because of the Gain?

3. KE0CPH

Yes.

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

That particular antenna doesn't come in an NMO mount? If there's any way to eliminate the adapter, I'd look at it. It's just one more weak point.

5. KE0CPH

6. AI7PM

I'd go Larsen 2/70 NMO. You aren't going to notice 1.3 db gain difference. What's that, +- 1/6th of S unit? You'd have the better NMO mount, and dual band capability if you need it down the road.

N7WR likes this.
  7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

curious about application,range needed? repeaters?

8. KE0CPH

I'd just like something with excellent gain. I also love going out when tropo acts up.
    I'll be doing APRS (FTM-350AR), general repeater chat and like I said above, FM tropo work.

9. KE0CPH

Not to be pedantic but I think it's closer to 2.2dB.
    I actually plan on a 440 antenna on my trunk and use a duplexer for the two antennas. I have a FTM-350-AR.

10. AI7PM

Yup, I think I quoted the UHF gain. That being said, don't get too caught up in thr Gain Game. Sometimes less and solid is better.