ad: AlphaRF-1

Diamond CP5H any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K6FI, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K6FI

K6FI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking at getting the Diamond CP5H and looking over the net (QRZ, EHAM) I see nobody talking about it...could it be too new or a POS?

Advise is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been looking into periodical verticals - too. If you use the guage of popularity to choose from; this antenna is relatively unknown and not well recieved. Is that really significant? Good question; you're guess is as good as mine or anybodies. It is a bit pricey, though. I have a Diamond 2m/440 with a mag mount, it seems to be well engineered an well appointed. Very popular - too - and not pricey.

If you go by popularity and revues, then the Hustler 6BTV is relatively cheaper, more well recieved, also covers some of 75 and 80 meters, and is more efficient. The Hustler require ground radials, as I recall.

The difference is that the Diamond is an trapped vertical with loading coils on the radials. Which means they can be both 'hashy' recieve - and at best - unity gain. Although it is good for every major band from 10-40 meters. The Hustler has traps along its length, and can load and get only slightly more gain than the Diamond - about .5db if I recall correctly. Still better than unity gain, and that is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. The Hustler is also $150 cheaper - and has a good reputation with customer service with the factory. So does the Diamond.

You see, I am still up in the air of which to choose myself! That is what my homework yielded thus far. If it sounds like I am leaning twards the Hustler, you are right. The price, customer service, decent and plentiful revues, many users, and better than unity gain says this is the better antenna. Like you, I would hate to spend ANY money to find out that it is fussy, not well calibrated from the factory, and ultimately useless.
    If don't know if I helped you out, but I hope I said anything useful for you. Maybe I have helped someone else get interested in this thread who had either/both - an can add their thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. K6FI

K6FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Appreciate the feedback and I will check out the Hustler.

4. KD7QPW

KD7QPW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the older discontinued Diamond (80-6m) CP6 and is not finiky at all, easy to install and logs DX quite easily... I have heard of people having issues getting the Hustler BTV's to load up correctly because I have been researching them as they are cheap and once you get them tuned, they work but you have to add radials also... I am always looking for a better vertical...J.

5. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had a couple of Diamond CP5s in the past and they work quite well, if you can get them up so the base is in the clear. They are quite easy to tune up by changing the length of radials.

I'm not sure what the difference between the '5 and the '5H is but it appears the H only covers 10-40 and can handle higher power. That's good, because the one criticism I was going to make of the '5 is that the bandwidth is pretty small on 80 and it doesn't work that well anyway. So 80 is no great loss. It's not brilliant on 40 either, being still quite short, but well capable of working DX with 100W on the higher bands.

One thing to add is that I destroyed mine taking it down after it had been up for a year because the screws holding the bits together were so corroded that it was impossible to take apart. So it would be worth getting some stuff to try to prevent that, when you assemble it.

6. K6FI

K6FI Ham Member QRZ Page

One item I did not see mention was what hight should this be mounted to. I live in a restricted CC&R area and currently have G5RV Jr mounted on a home made telescoping 28' poll that I have to put up and down when in operation.

I was hoping that with the CP5H being 11 or so foot, that I could mount on a 10 to 15 foot mast and keep it up always.

Thoughts or past experience is appreciated.

7. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't have mine mounted any higher than that. If that gets it above most of the trees, bushes and surrounding buildings there won't be much gained by having it any higher.

8. K6FI

K6FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounding more and more like I am getting a new antenna.

Thanks

9. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Might I suggest a Cushcraft ? Although not now in production, and it should be, I have a Cushcraft R5 which is about 15 years old, and the only time it causes any trouble is when it soaking wet and the 17 metre trap jumps to 1:5
    With these you don't need radials,but you do with the Hustler, and I can take my R5 out portable with a good signal Check out current models

G0GQK

10. K6FI

K6FI Ham Member QRZ Page

I will look into the R5...appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.