ad: RichCrouch-1

Develop New Signal Report Process

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by N9AED, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

There has always been a reporting method for TV/Image etc. P1-P5
    P1 = Just discernible, P5 = Perfect
    Frank

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. WA6III

WA6III Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy,

Well, you could do what they do in aviation communications. When you ask for a signal "report"
    I.E "How do you hear this transmitter"??.......... The "Standard" answer is almost always, "I have you 5 by 5"

Never mind the fact that no currently approved VHF AM aviation band transceiver has an S-meter or other signal level indicator AND NONE of the pilots and controllers (unless they are Hams) even know what "5 by 5" even means!! (I have asked a LOT of them!!!)

Yet they still use it. Some will say "Loud and Clear" which by the way is probably more descriptive. Even " 30%, 50%, or Full Quieting" would be better than "5 by 5", but No pilot or controller would know what that means either (unless of course they have mobile narrow-band FM repair experience etc.......!!

I wouldn't change the current RST for CW use, (although TONE is pretty much not needed anymore)

Probably the best description of signal report for "Phone" (assuming you have an S-meter) would be "I have you 5 S-units above the noise" Because an "S-9" report is not very helpful if your noise is S-8

And maybe "Loud & Clear, 5 S-units above the noise" would be best of all.

Cheers,

Rick

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I take my blood pressure during a contact and just read that off as my report. :D

4. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

On 75 meter SSB, if are not 20-40 over some people will get insulted. RS only goes to 59. I'm fine with RST as it is.
    73 Chuck, N0NC