Develop New Signal Report Process

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by N9AED, Aug 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an old saying.
    "If it ain't broke, You're not trying hard enough"....
    Ymmv

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Solution looking for a problem....

K3XR and ND6M like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No need. RST works just fine. Right between the ears. No meter required

Dave
    W7UUU

G0JUR and WA9SVD like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see a problem. In SSB or some 'phone modes, yes, the "T" is moot, and only a 5x9 (R-S) report is given. But in CW or some other modes, the "T" IS necessary. Including the "T" is hardly a significant problem, and is MUCH faster than having to say (by CW or other modes) BTW, you have a chirpy, clicky, unstable, or other problem...:confused::rolleyes:

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been blessed to visit 15 or so countries, and to live in a few,

I found it much more helpful to apologize for not speaking the other fellows language, than complaining his English was not to my standards.

Which brings to mind a funny joke,

Q: What do yo call somebody that speaks 3 languages?

A: Tri-lingual

Q: What do you call a person that speaks 2 languages?

A: Bi-lingual

Q: What do you call a fellow who only speaks one language?

A: American

:p

Rege, who can order a cold beer in almost any part of the world....

KX4UQ likes this.
  6. YC2YWB

YC2YWB Ham Member QRZ Page

how are you
    from yc2ywb

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

New contest exchange..."TNX CALL OM UR SINPO 55555 73"

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see a problem with different signal reporting methods for different modes. We already have two methods, RST for cw and RST for phone. I've always thought we needed another one for SSTV and other visual modes, as well.

9. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been some time since I was active with SSTV but I remember there being an adaption of the 'RST' for it. Something like 'VST' or Visibility, Strength and Tone. I think the 'Tone' thingy was used differently too, but it's been a while. And since there really wasn't any standard, you could give as detailed/minimal report as you wanted or was requested. Simplest method was to just send a 'smaller' pic of 'their' pic back to them. Depending on how well you were receiving that 'other' station you could tell quite a bit from that!

10. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree with LZ. And ... signal strength is also a matter of how it is measured. Is the pre-amp on or off? Switch RX antennas or swing the beam and the signal strength changes. So no matter what the "report" is it is not "real" ... but just a subjective indication of strength.

And even on FT8 with reports from -24 on up, I can switch my RX antenna and make a big change in the report.

Sometimes one might want a "real" indication of one's signal. But mostly it is 599 or 59 and we are happy not to know the truth.

And in many cases, it is not about being accurate in the report but about communicating and being accurate in what is copied. For instance, in county hunting, working someone where what matters is copying the report correctly. That is usually 229, 339, 449, 559, 579, or 599 on CW. Because those reports are the easiest to copy. And similarly on phone. I have even heard, not infrequently, reports on CW like 22222N, or 3333N, or 444N, so the receiving station has a better chance of logging 229, 339, or 449. "Non-standard" reports just make it more difficult.

Of course then there are some folks on SSB who have no idea what a signal report is, but they think they do, and they give something like 40 over 20, or 6 over 12. Huh? Maybe just newcomers. Have to gently explain how it works. Sometimes it takes a lot of explaining.