Determine If Contact Has a QRZ.com Logbook BEFORE Logging Them?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by KB3ZIM, Feb 12, 2020 at 2:03 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3ZIM

KB3ZIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering if there's a way...or if a method could be instituted...that would allow a QRZ.com logbook user to determine if the call sign entered in "search" was actually keeping a QRZ.com log, doing so BEFORE bothering to log the contact.

I ask this because I'm attempting to achieve a QRZ.com "50 United States Award" and a "DX World Award." When I search for a call sign I see spotted, and then click on "Log NEW contact with ______" button, I have to enter the QSO information (OR enter nothing), and then click "Save." It is only when it's saved to my QRZ.com log that I can determine if that QSO can possibly be confirmed in MY QRZ.com logbook by seeing if the call sign is shown in Boldface Blue or Normal Black. In short, I often waste time going through that entire process, only to find that the contact can't possibly count towards QRZ.com log awards because the contacted station doesn't keep a QRZ.com log, and therefore, can't confirm the contact.

I realize that's a very "wordy" question, but I've attempted to ask it as concisely as I can.

When searching for a call sign on QRZ.com, ALL call signs come up in Boldface Blue, but that call sign MUST be entered and logged before one can tell if the contact also keeps a QRZ.com log (and can confirm the contact). It would be helpful to know before making all the effort to log the contact and finding out they don't log on QRZ.com,

Sorry to sound so complex. It's just an observation....and a suggestion as well.

73 de KB3ZIM

-------------------------------------
    FROM THE HELP FORUM:

Q: Why are some callsigns in my logbook bold-blue, while others are normal-black?

A: Bold-blue callsigns in your logbook indicate that the user has a QRZ Logbook and can reciprocate QSO entries for confirmation.
    Normal-black callsigns indicate that the user does not yet have a QRZ Logbook. Why don't you invite them?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why not just enter the contact anyway?

The other station could very well sign up for QRZ logbook next week and you'd miss out.

Dave
    W7UUU

K3UJ, PY2RAF, AG5DB and 2 others like this.
  3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm finishing up WAS for phone and dxcc for cw & phone, but a step I take is to look their call up, click on "detail "
    then look at the bottom left
    upload_2020-2-12_7-44-7.png

you'll see a yes or no or blank for qsl type. If these say "no" for qrz or lotw I move on in my search or work them anyway.
    Also on the main bio page some will say what they use right at the top of their bio
    I still log them anyway for the same reason as W7UUU says plus I like to keep a log

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes... Words fail me, but here goes anyway.

To be concise, is this all that ham radio is becoming now? Just an endless search for the next award, be it QRZ, ARRL, eQSL or whatever sponsored?

How very strange...

K3XR likes this.
  5. KB3ZIM

To be concise: With the utmost sincerity I can muster, be advised that I don't give a damn about contests, awards, or anything of the like. I never did. I don't even have a QSL card, and I have NEVER asked for one from a contact. My biggest desire when operating is to ragchew....period. In fact, I'm very disappointed by how many stations I hear that just exchange call signs and signal reports and then move on. If I hear stations operating like that, I don't even bother to call them, because if they can't have a conversation and share some personal exchanges with me, I have NO interest in talking to that station.

Having said that, I will admit that I am entertained by seeing just how many stations (and in this instance, states) I have contacted, and have always been amazed that I contact any stations at all, so fascinated I am with radio. The QRZ.com logbook is just a method of monitoring that metric...and that's it. I don't give a rat's ass about awards, contests, and the like. Keeping a log and seeing how many states I can reach is simply an amusing addendum to operation, and has nothing to do with any sort of "goal" or "award search" for me.

Regarding your posed questions: I can't answer for any other amateur radio operator, but as for me, my answer is a resounding "NO!"

"How very strange...." you say? Yes...how very strange that you made such assumptions based on my asking of a simple queston.:)

6. KB3ZIM

Indeed....I most often do log it anyway because, ultimately, I really don't care about quantity of QSOs as much as I care about the quality of my QSOs. I'm dismayed when I hear stations that don't want to have a real conversation! But...."to each his own."

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This would break the "double blind" aspect of the the system - so no! Both parties need to enter the info independently for a QSL to be created. To do otherwise lowers the integrity of the system.

8. KB3ZIM

Thanks for your response. I understand what you've stated, but you misinterpreted my question (about which I'm not surprised because I had a great deal of difficulty posing it in an understandable way). I aware of the "double blind" aspect and never intend to "lower the integrity of the system." I simply was wondering about a way to determine if a given station was using the QRZ.com logbook before actually choosing to contact and then log that station.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, not the QSO data, just the user. But if they don't today, they could tomorrow, so it's no issue to just log...

KB3ZIM likes this.
  10. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ callsign page holders have the option of enabling or disabling a logbook tab to appear on the front page; this regardless of whether or not they are logbook participants. [select ACCOUNT then LOGBOOK OPTIONS]

For those who have the logbook tab enabled, by clicking on that tab you can determine the last 15 QSOs entered in their book, if any.

KB3ZIM likes this.