ad: Mountaingoat-1

Details, details...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 8, 2002.

?

Details, details... - How would you prefer the callsign page?

1. Basic info first, then picture, then details, then biography

100.0%
  2. Basic info, then details, then picture then biography

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Picture first, then basic info, then details then biography

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Basic info first, then details, then biography, then picture

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Okay, so there are a lot of options.  I thought it would be cool to take a vote, and to test out our new voting mechanism.

A callsign page typically has four parts: The basic info (callsign, name and address), the detailed info (expiration date, county, previous callsign, etc.), the user's picture, and then the user's biography.

So here's the question: which order would you prefer them to appear on the page?

I won't say that this is strictly democratic (after all, its my site! ) but I would like to know what you think.  I can be persuaded [​IMG]

-fred

2. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

While you're changing things, consider listing email address with ' at ' instead of '@' ... might help with stoping spam

3. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB1GYQ @ Feb. 08 2002,20:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While you're changing things, consider listing email address with ' at ' instead of '@' ... might help with stoping spam[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What an idea !! On a recent "spam" I received, it appeared that all the addresses had been pulled from here or buckmaster. The list went on and on with callsigns, in order. Anyone that knows how to get this far would understand the "at" replacement. Cheers.

4. AB0SI

AB0SI Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree with the posters who suggest combining basic and detail. Or, at least, add the county to the basic. Very, very easy for me to say -- I don't ahve to problem anytihng. <grin>

5. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I vote to combine the basic and detailed info. It's just repititon anyway. Nobody uses 1400-baud modems anymore. Give us the whole picture instead of little snippets at a time.

One other thing. There should be a link to "Main Menu" on every single part of this website so one can navigate back instead of backspacing the whole way and wasting server resources on this site.

6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k3sam @ Feb. 08 2002,21:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB1GYQ @ Feb. 08 2002,20:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While you're changing things, consider listing email address with ' at ' instead of '@' ... might help with stoping spam[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What an idea !!  On a recent "spam" I received, it appeared that all the addresses had been pulled from here or buckmaster.  The list went on and on with callsigns, in order.  Anyone that knows how to get this far would understand the "at" replacement.  Cheers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Alot of spam is gathered by spam "bots" that scan HTML pages and Usenet.  I mangled my email address posting here so that the spam bots wont pick it up.  One person posting here didn't understand and called my email address a "punk" email address.  Oh well....

7. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

General info and details should be quickly accessible. Other than that, the site is faster and I had no problem with frames. Many newer sites are using them now, and they do offer advantages. I can scroll one section then move over to scroll for an option without losing what I first zeroed in on. I always prefer change for the better, not just sticking with what I'm used to. Or I would have to saddle up my horse and ride to the creek to get a drink of water. [​IMG]
    On a side note, I noticed my profile dosen't show the date I registered and only 1 post to date. Is my past info lost or will it be updated in the future?

8. N5XM

N5XM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you folks are doing a great job, and I like the fact that things are fluid, and being improved as users make observations about ways to make it better for everyone. I didn't like the new swapmeet section at first, but I like it a lot better now. I liked the previous ability to tell how many new items have been posted since my last visit. We can't seem to be able to tell that now. Some folks just aren't gonna like anything that is different. It won't be enough change for others. I think the UTC should go on the left hand side, maybe underneath the box for looking up callsigns, so that I don't have to scroll to the right to find it as I write down a callsign. A small deal, but the devil is in the details, as they say. Keep it up, and don't finalize anything quite yet.

9. K9IJ

K9IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would add my vote to combining basic and details. A couple of times I have missed the fact that a DX station has a QSL manager because that was buried in the (hidden) details and not more obvious.

10. KB8AOB

KB8AOB Ham Member QRZ Page

The combination of basic information and detailed information makes a great deal of sense.  The order of the other items is not important as long as they are not first.

11. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm quite flexible when it comes to frames on web pages.  I don't mind them so long as when I jump to an off-site link the new information is not contained in the frame of the site I just left.  That burns me to high heaven and it is a simple action on the part of the HTML author to disable that function.

As far as QRZ.com is concerned, I liked the old threaded/nested method of reading the comments as threads were grouped together.  I would vote for that layout if I could.  While the current layout is fine, it seems to have lost some of the continuity the previous version had.  Since I chose nested in my profile, I didn't have to constantly click my way up and down through the comments.

Lastly, it seems the site is serving many more graphics, particularly small graphics for all the smileys and such.  Surely the server load could be decreased if the number of these files in a page were reduced.  Brevity is the soul of wit, so I'll shut up now!

Editor's note:  
    Threading isn't something we can just turn on with the flick of a switch.  It has to be built into the system from its very foundation.  This software, ikonboard, doesn't support threading.

In addition, I didn't care much for it on the old Forum.  Topics tended to meander too much each could have an entirely new heading.  It was very easy to get down into a sub-discussion of a sub-discussion and it could be very difficult to get back to the original track you were reading.

Nothing is stopping users from starting new topics on any subject on this system.  At least this way, each discussion stays focused on the original topic.

-fred, AA7BQ

12. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0NB @ Feb. 09 2002,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as QRZ.com is concerned, I liked the old threaded/nested method of reading the comments as threads were grouped together.  I would vote for that layout if I could.  While the current layout is fine, it seems to have lost some of the continuity the previous version had.  Since I chose nested in my profile, I didn't have to constantly click my way up and down through the comments.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree

13. N5TIF

N5TIF QRZ Member QRZ Page

Yes, I agree the the General and details should be combine.  And please no frames.  But i do like what you have done to the web page.

14. KO4E

KO4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see the licence class added to the basic page.

15. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB1GYQ @ Feb. 09 2002,17:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0NB @ Feb. 09 2002,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as QRZ.com is concerned, I liked the old threaded/nested method of reading the comments as threads were grouped together.  I would vote for that layout if I could.  While the current layout is fine, it seems to have lost some of the continuity the previous version had.  Since I chose nested in my profile, I didn't have to constantly click my way up and down through the comments.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I kinda like the new format.  One thing I've noticed is that without the threaded format, there is slightly less chance of a discussion degenerating into personal attacks.  Then again, it may be my imagination.

The nested format was only nested up to the point where the comments would reach the far right of your screen and then they'd be flat on top of each other.  It would take a heck of a lot of comments for it to reach that far.  Given the number ofcontroversial articles published within recent times, this has been a regular occurrence.

A nice format I have seen (although I am not sure if Ikonboard can do it) is Google Groups (dejanews) where the comments are on the right hand side and on the left side in a frame there is a a thread.  I can't exactly describe it, the best thing would be to look at it yourself at groups.google.com.  The left side is clickable so you can instantly jump to an article, yet the right side is scrollable so you can just read comments without worrying about threads.

Oh, and a feature about this I just LOVE is the ability to edit your own posts.  Many times on the old format I noticed a few grammatical errors here in my posts and I would have loved the ability to correct them.  The old format didn't allow for that.  The new one does, and I just love that feature, as a matter of fact this last paragraph is a result of my editing ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.