Desulfating an AGM Battery...

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AI4IJ, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AI4IJ

AI4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there may be some confusion between reconditioning a lead-acid battery by desulphating it and equalizing a lead-acid battery by using a higher DC voltage.  When you equalize a battery, you charge at a higher rate to the point of gassing - and then, top off as needed.  You are supposed to do this when you add water to a regular flooded battery.  BUT, to do this to an AGM or other SLA WILL result in EXPLOSION with possibly catastrophic results.

The charger I bought will both equalize and recondition lead-acid batteries - but, the equalize function goes away when AGM or GEL is selected.  However, the recondition selection is available for all types of batteries.

That, of course, still does not answer the question of how effective the recondition function will be on an AGM.  

Thanks for all the great info, guys!   Keep those experiences coming, and I'll keep you posted about the 17AH AGM battery I'm trying to recondition, now.  It's on its second cycle - we'll see how well it does this time.

Thanks, and 73
    Richard
    AI4IJ

P.S. - This seems to be a great charger for $59.95.  So far, I'm quite pleased with it.  It supports virtually all lead-acid battery types.  It has 20 amp, 10 amp, and 2 amp charge rates that automatically step up or down as needed, as well as an automatic float charge and a 60 amp engine start mode - in addition to the equalize,  recondition,  and alternator testing features.  

2. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is also a misunderstanding in this thread, when one speaks about "boiling the electrolyte", it's actually applying a higher voltage that resuts in a fast production of gas from the cell that is fully charged.

Bubbles form in the electrolyte and it looks like it's boiling, this is called "gassing" and is not fatal to the battery, actually it is used to recover a battery from an unequal cell state, sometimes called the "mysterious memory effect" [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.