Desktop Microphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD2NOM, May 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep... headsets are for me too.
    The mic follows you around. The headset lets you hear what's going on.
    I do use a MD100 with my Yaesu and it's a great sounding mic. Of course, it's too low to the desk top. You need to pick it up to get close on it and then the handling noise rejection isn't that great.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree on the MD-100, it's a very good mic.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, take a look at the MD-200. It has the classic yoke-cradle which makes it adjustable to almost any angular or height configuration.

A nice feature of the 450 is the DSP equalizer and the recorder. They will come in handy regardless of what you select. Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

3. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a boom mic, of sorts. Its an Astatic D-104 element on a lamp arm. I run it through a pre-amp and distribution panel.

[​IMG]

KB4QAA likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job.

Do you use an original D-104 crystal element??

I'll bet there aren't so many of those around anymore considering what humidity does to them over time. But they were really good.

5. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You nailed that Steve - if you can find them, they are exceptionally crisp with excellent frequency response. The elements are hard to find but they do exist.

Wouldn't be my first recommendation, unless you were REALLY looking for a project.

Jim, WQ2H

IMG_20180712_122031362.jpg

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to have five D-104s, back in the 60s. They were $14.95 each brand new (for the head, not including the stand). The "G" stand with the PTT bar cost about the same as the mike. I had five because they were so affordable and I could use one on "each transmitter," for HF - VHF - UHF etc. -- easier than using a switch or moving one mike around to the different rigs.

I was a kid and didn't realize heat and humidity (and probably extreme cold, also) can both degrade and eventually ruin the crystal elements. Used to take 2-3 of them out to Field Day or portable VHF contest operations in the field where it could be both hot and humid, sometimes with the mikes exposed to direct summer sunshine. That wasn't a good idea.:(

7. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

The elements were originally hermetically sealed. I have several heads, some of which I've repaired, and a few stands, one of which is what I use on the test bench. All of mine are the original crystal element, and I'VE SWEPT THEM to be certain they have more or less the original response.[/URL]

[​IMG]