Desktop Microphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD2NOM, May 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your comments. It's not about sounding better than the included microphone - it's about ergonomics. My rig is actually above me on the top shelf of my desk bookshelf. I wanted a desk microphone so I can operate SSB without having to pull the microphone down to me.

W5TTW likes this.
  2. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Geez man! Remind me that if I hear you making a call to not come back to ya. I will probably not want to listen to ya for long!!! Rumble, rumble. HIHI!

W5TTW likes this.
  3. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My "audio" (tone) reports are usually "N." ;)

4. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would second a boom mounted mike and foot switch and/or headset. Both have their places in a "well outfitted shack".

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...and they occupy less space than a desk mike.

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think Boom Mikes are for those who envision themselves sitting in a Commercial Broadcast station.
    I prefer a desk top for my fireside chats. ;)
    Handmikes are for those who envision themselves as Smokey or the Bandit.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

...and it takes up valuable desk space between you & your rig and/or beer. :p

OTOH, with a headset, no desk space is wasted, and no matter which way you turn your noggin, the microphone is ALWAYS in the correct location. :)

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of those, and they are indeed remarkably good sounding mics for the money. Two issues with that mic (and others of it's kind) however. One, it requires a phantom power source to energize the condenser element. Normally, it's+48vdc, but you may be able to get enough from the radio to light it off well enough. Two, they are unbelievably sensitive and omnidirectional, so unless you're in a quiet environment, they'll pick up every blessed little thing.

Neither of those are deal breakers, but they may render the mic less than optimal. It was in my case.

Simplest thing would be an MD100 or similar, plug and play. You can also find a Heil HM-something in that price range. If you're inclined to roll your own cable, just about any $20 cardoid karaoke mic can be a good upgrade, but you'll need to wire a ptt of some kind. External hand switch is the easiest. Any of it can be had for that $100-ish you want to spend.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SM-58's been around for about 50 years and is a good dynamic, unidirectional vocal mike. Not very expensive, and very rugged: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm58-vocal-microphone

I like the Heil PR-40 just slightly better and it's what I generally use; but I've switched to the SM-58 "mid-QSO" a few times and the other op can rarely tell the difference.

Probably used by more performance vocalists than anything ever made. And it is made to be "close talked," don't even think about "sitting back" from it.

[​IMG]

KD2ACO likes this.
  10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s really funny how performers on stage grab the back ports and turn that mic omni. When you’re running ‘front of house’ you keep your hand on the mic fader to keep the PA from screaming. I’ve lost track of how many hours I’ve had my hand go numb from this... you learn to bring binoculars and run the console single handed, which is tough when you want another pull off of that beer...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018