ad: Prosistel-1

desktop.ini?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N3DT, Feb 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do I get these thing appearing all over the place? They seem just to appear out of nowhere, but I'm sure it's something that's going on. Nothing seems to happen when I delete them.

2. KB3MOW

KB3MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

What I do is select 'computer' in explorer, search for desktop.ini and delete them, it doesn't seem to affect anything. I had about 20 of them scattered around in the computer just an hour or so ago. Some of them in Windows Office and similar folders are locked, but there's only about 5 of them so I just skip those. I'm still wondering what makes them. I'm using W7 and I notice it on my wife's W7 laptop too. I'll see if there's anything on the W7 forum.

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should not delete files that are used by the system.

Hide them if they bother you. desktop.ini takes up very little file space.

Be careful twiddling your thumbs too.

Have Fun.

6. K1WTF

K1WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

These are per folder configuration files. They show up when you have the option to 'show all system files' enabled.

Why?

You can see all system files, or you can hide them and not see the desktop.ini files. Pick one ;-)

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. An obligation of appreciation is all together to share this information. I to a great degree like your post specifically. You have amazingly shared a helpful and charming post with people continue sharing attentively look at it how to get help in windows 10

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How to get help installing a computer virus. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

KB3VWG, NK2U and W1GVT like this.