Desks for your home ham station

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4PG, May 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Did the elegant route:

C10A7AE0-1E17-4C18-B4B0-C4A9432F86A4.jpeg

Amps on a metal shelf

F9BFC951-B581-4931-B8F4-269B463686A8.jpeg

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

4. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a land surveyor for years in my youth. When not in the field an additional duty was running the Diazo blueprint machine. Even in the heat of a Florida summer, we had all the windows open and big pedestal fans to disperse the ammonia.

5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

My shack desk uses 4X4 for legs, 2X4 frame, and 5/8 OSB covered with oak tongue and groove flooring left over from my house build. I needed it to be strong to support all the old heavy boat anchors I have.

6. KN4OTS

KN4OTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Now "THAT" is a desk !!!

73 to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

7. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a file cabinet on each end.

8. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

So I did. I like that.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Could work for some stations, I guess, but two things bothered me...

Not a whole lot of desktop area...yeah, the "tiers" are nice but you need some area.

No prices listed. That turns on the warning bells to the tune of, "You can probably buy an IC 7851 for what they want for one of these."

;)

Me? I do fine with an L shaped desk I bought off the Amazon.com for less than 200 and a shelf cobbled together in a few minutes after a visit to Home Depot.

:)

shack april 2020.JPG

10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My operating desk at this QTH started out as a thrift store wooden desk that I picked up for $25. It worked and was sturdy (and not much fun to bring home and get into the room) but the operating surface wasn't very deep. I like a lot of room for my forearm when working CW with paddles or a straight key and also like room for a notepad and log. The old desk already had a pull out keyboard and mouse tray so that part was nice but I wanted more depth on the main operating desk and wanted a second tier that was also deep enough for some of the larger rigs I like to run.

So I built a desk topper which is just a large piece of fairly thick plywood as a deeper main desk top and a second tier made out of the same material. Here's the resulting operating desk with the two tier topper installed over the thrift store desk. I took a similar approach to building my test and repair bench so I could hold the test equipment but have enough open work space to hold the gear I'm working on.

[​IMG]

No great carpentry skills here, just a tape measure, a saw, some brackets and screws and a bit of time with a paintbrush and stain for looks. I don't have a wood shop so I built the topper outside in the yard, stained it and then brought the whole thing inside and screwed it right into the wooden thrift store desk.

KN1M, W4NNF and K1SZO like this.