Deny internet access to Kindle?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N3DT, Apr 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old Kindle Fire (5th) that I'd like to use for wireless things around the house but not give it access to the internet. I have my ISP hooked through an Asus RT-N66U that has a lot of options. I have MAC filters enabled for only my devices so others cannot use my wireless, as well as security enabled, but how do I use this Kindle wireless and not give it access to the web? Parental controls?

2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

search "jailbreak kindle"

W7UUU likes this.
  3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but I want to use some android apps on it, will they still work?

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

No idea. I'm still on paperwhite...

5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose you could get another wifi router, establish the connection to all of your devices including the kindle, but don't hook it up to the outside world.

6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You want it on the internet so you can download books, but you don't want it used as a web browsing device?

Best bet would be to try to limit the device via parental controls to whatever subdomains Amazon uses for its Kindle services. I will not be flawless.

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

In my router, under 'Firewall' is a tab listed as "Network services filter' and it mentions this:

'The Network Services filter blocks the LAN to WAN packet exchanges and restricts devices from using specific network services.
    For example, if you do not want the device to use the Internet service, key in 80 in the destination port. The traffic that uses port 80 will be blocked.
    Leave the source IP field blank to apply this rule to all LAN devices.
    The IP address can be a simple IP (1.2.3.4), or use the CIDR format (1.2.3.4/24) to handle a whole subnet.'

Under 'Network services filter table' is listed these items;
    Source IP - Port Range - Destination IP - Port Range - Protocol - the last one protocal is a drop down list of TCP, a bunch of TCP XXX, and UDP.

Is this something that may work? Where do I get the device (Kindle)IP? The parental controls instructions mentions that things will still go over the internet and the Kindle is notorious for using background data, I found that out when I started using it here wireless, it was using up all sorts of data for some unknown reason, undoubtedly something that Amazon wants. I blocked it with my MAC filters and also do not turn on the kindle wireless when it's on and in the house.

Maybe I should go to the Asus router site and ask there.

Now, I'm no IT guy so I don't understand all this stuff, but I can follow instructions if they are good. And I can tell if the Kindle is using any internet bandwidth probably with NetWorx which I have installed.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to device info, Serial number, Tap it six times.

That should put you in developers mode. That is where all of the goodies settings are.

Download what you need, Then say "forget" network connections, To kill updates. ;)

9. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is going to be all or nothing if you restrict port 80 or 443; that is how your Kindle downloads ebooks.

What is it you are trying to accomplish here?

10. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So you want to be able to download books? App to work on the Internet? But not the web browser? Like KA8NCR I am curious why you are trying to do this? Is this a kids device? That may make sense . . . If you want to keep a young person from browsing certain sites another option might be OpenDNS or something like that. It will filter out "bad" DNS names so you can't resolve them . . It essentially acts like a filter. This would be a router setting.