Dentron Clipperton L

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KN4VCT, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4VCT

KN4VCT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, SO I DO HAVE THE MANUAL. MY MANUAL TELLS ME HOW TO CHANGE JUMPERS AND SUCH FOR 220 OR 110, BUT NOT REPLACE THE ENTIRE POWER CORD. AND I AM NEW TO THIS BUT WHAT I ALWAYS DO IS ENSURE I WATCH MY HV METER DRAINING DOWN, LEAVE AMP UNPLUGGED OVER NIGHT, VERY VERY CAREFULLY REMOVE COVER, SHORT THE ANODE OF A TUBE TO GROUND (USING A WIRE THROUGH A PVC PIPE) ANYTHING ELSE? IF SO PLEASE I WANT TO BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  2. KN4VCT

KN4VCT Ham Member QRZ Page

AND FOR NOW I CUT THE OLD CORD DOWN TO A FEW INCHES, PUT SHRINK TUBING OVER EACH WIRE OF THE OLD CORD,THEN SOLDERED THIS CORD TO THE ENDS. I MADE SURE IT WAS INSULATED WELL. NOW RUNNING ON 220V JUST FINE FOR NOW, EXCEPT LOSING POWER ON 40M AFTER A BIT OF TALK TIME.

Sorry for all caps by the way!

3. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's probably fine. I never trust a meter and I use a long screwdriver with insulated handle to short the caps to ground. There are various methods and shorting tools hams use.

I vaguely recall that the power cord connects to a terminal block on the chassis rear panel, with leads routed inside to the primary. Again, it's been a while. In my opinion, if the physical and electrical integrity of any cord or leads from the outlet to the transformer is not up to spec, meaning factory new or reasonably close to it, the cord and leads should be replaced with factory new, properly rated cord/leads, which should be available at any hardware type retail store.

The cause of the power loss could be any number of things, but if you are losing power on one band only, I would start out by checking for dirty or damaged band-switch contacts and associated components (e.g. resistors, capacitors, chokes), and making sure all screw/lug chassis ground connections are tight.

4. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just checking this thread to see how things worked out, but as there are no additional posts at thsi time hopefully that indicates that the amp is working well. As long as you abide by the manual in every respect your amp should provide years of safe, reliable service.